Tuesday, August 29, 2006

MX letters too much for this blogger

I catch the train for precisely 7 minutes each way, every day. The trip home is just long enough to read MX from cover to cover.

And oh the gold to be found in the letters page.

First up we have "Cry-baby men too much for this viewer". Scott from the CBD is concerned about Aussie blokes. Very concerned. For example:
"Somehow metrosexuality is in vogue (another term no male should be aware of or use) and look what happens."

Another term? This is the second sentence of the letter and there were no terms in the first one. And is the term he objects to "metrosexuality" or "vogue"? And if no male should use these terms why did this guy just use both?

Scott goes on to tell us that "crying when you are happy used to be solely a woman's domain" before concluding with the rather unconvincing statement "I'm not being chauvinistic at all, I'm just worried". There's more, but I think we get the idea.

For the sake of balance, I'm an Aussie male who still cries every time Julia Stiles reads her poem at the end of "Ten Things I Hate About You". Scott and I will just have to agree to contribute to the rich diversity of life in very different ways.

Another slightly concerning letter appears on the same page, headed "CJ's the kreme of the crop". Elaine from Hallam tells the story of a polite young man (CJ) who gave her and her friends some donuts on a recent train trip. This is itself a very positive thing. I only got worried when Elaine announced " This welcome treat certainly made our day and has changed our view of the younger generation".

What did Elaine previously think of the younger generation? Self absorbed? Lacking in spontaneity? Overly health conscious?

The happy news is that Elaine's view of the younger generation, however negative, can not be too firmly entrenched if all it takes to turn it around is one donut.

There is hope for the future, people.

Damn I want to eat a donut now.

4 Comments:

Blogger BEVIS said...

Me too, as regards the doughnut.

Thankfully I know just where you can find some as of 7am Thursday. See my 'regular' blog for details (I Blogged Myself).

Sorry to self-promote so shamelessly, but I really don't want to type in all the details twice.

I like your writing style, and share most of your concerns with those letters in MX.

Both Scott and Elaine have only served to highlight their own prejudices and biases, based on unfair and unrealistic stereotypes (they are/were sexist and ageist, respectively). Looks like MX is only good for a seven-minute public transport read to make you smile ... or to provide you with good fodder for this 'ere blog. :)

And it's spelt 'Stiles', but I know what you mean about that poem.

3:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the previous blogger.

3:33 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Bevis,

Of course it's spelled "Stiles". That's what I said.

What do you mean this post has been edited.

I'm not Bevis
I suspect that you actually are. If you're not, I'm not sure whether Bevis or I should be more concerned about your choice of name.

6:37 AM  
Blogger BEVIS said...

Guilty as charged. I was getting impatient at seeing no response. I can be funny like that sometimes.

But my eyes must be deceiving me about the word 'Styles' that I could have sworn I saw written there the other day ...

:)

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home