Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Alternative medishinsh

INC: So, I suppose when I'm on these antibiotics, I shouldn't drink alcohol?



A doctor: No, don't worry about it. You can have a quiet beer. Possibly a bourbon. It might make you feel better.



INC: This is how medicine should be practised





....


Any mild sense of surprise experienced by regular readers (yes, both of you) in relation to this piece of medical advice will, of course, be dwarfed by the utter shock experienced on reading that I actually went to see a doctor.


For the record, I think that was the first time in five years.

In light of the health concerns I've blogged about recently, I have to wonder at this point whether I'm stupid or simply wildly inconsistent. I don't think so. I would even venture to suggest that there is some logic at work around here somewhere.


The reason why I will go to a doctor for a sinus infection, for that is what it was, but not for stress related chest pains, is that, as far as I know, most doctors can't do anything for my stress levels. The one who prescribes beer and bourbon is the exception that proves the rule, obviously. However, they are fairly good at prescribing things to make sinus infections go away.


So far, I'm not feeling too stupid about this. But here's the part that's more concerning. The post immediately before this one express a certain level of irritation about the whole work/life balance thing. And yet I discover that I'm unwilling to see a doctor about something which may have long term consequences but doesn't interference with my ability to work right now, but as soon as an obviously temporary infection comes along and makes me too woozy to type a whole letter without collapsing, it's straight off to the purveyor of antibiotics for me.

It's entirely possible that this makes me a cross between an ostrich and a guy with no sense of perspective.

Which is something I should probably spend a little more time thinking about, really.

8 Comments:

Blogger I.Sirius said...

Dude, for a case such as this the Caped Ukuleleinator prescribes 15 minutes of ukulele a day. The dose can be taken either in your office, park at lunch time or at night once the chores are done for the day.

If this doesn't work take the uke and smash the living shit out of it over your computer, desk or person who is elevating your stress levels at that time. Guaranteed to make you feel better about the world.

Take care mate.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

it's good you are thinking about these things, inc. and i think we are all ostrich-y at times.

i have been told that the reason people aren't meant to drink while taking anti-biotics is because they won't be as effective, rather than having some sort of weird effect of making you turn into either a stoner, a psycho-zombie slasher or a sleepwalking superman wannabe.

by the way, my eye socket (left) is better.

yay me.

2:49 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Caped dude
I did actually teach myself to play the ukelele when I was 10. Sadly, I no longer have one. Perhaps I could break a couple of strings on my guitar and then shrink the whole thing, which may have a similar effect.

I suspect, however, that if I then smash the Maton that my wife gave me for my 30th birthday, my stress levels may be elevated for uite some time.

Melba dude
I am most pleased to hear that your eye socket is better. Is your arm also better?

If not, or if the eye socket problem resurfaces, then see a doctor immediately, young lady.

10:59 AM  
Blogger I.Sirius said...

INC Dude, A Maton in the hand is far better than one smashed over a coffee table. The Caped Ukuleleinator gives massive props to your wife presenting gift of such awesomeness.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Ms Batville said...

You take care of yourself you.

I prescribe a complete day of INC's fave things - eat those things that you enjoyed as a littlie (fairy bread for example), read liner notes, sing your faves at the top of your voice caring not how others are affected, read the birth notices in the Herald Sun for a good laugh at those wackily named new 'Stralians and generally take it easy. (Or maybe that is just what I would do!)

3:01 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Ukelele dude

My wife is most grateful for all props massive and small

Ms Batville

You're back.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY etc.

Thank you for the many excellent suggestions.

I have been singing my faves as I walk home every night, with the assistance of an ipod well stocked with The Cure, Paul Kelly and the Scissor Sisters, amongst others.

This is probably causing some concern amongst local residents, although possibly not as much concern as the equally enthusiastic dancing.

It turns out it's impossible to walk sensibly whilst listening to "Why can't I be you".

I should perhaps move on to the liner notes, and soon.

8:47 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

I don't know - I go away for five minutes and all of a sudden the use of the word dude has pervaded EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE?

I hope you are feeling better Mr INCraig.

(and in another spooky coincidence, Mr Fix gave me a maton acoustic that I ABSOLUTELY DID NOT DESERVE (I'm having heart palpitations thinking about the price of it even now) for Christmas almost ten years ago...I haven't broken it over the coffee table yet, nor been tempted to turn it into a ukelele)

3:33 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Giggles

I'm confused. Is it your theory that we would all be saying 'dude' less if you hadn't gone away for a couple of days?

I am feeling much better now, thank you.

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home