Sunday, June 15, 2008

Old people say the darndest...

My church has been undergoing renovations.

Wow, an opening line like that just grabs your attention and won't let go, right?

Anyway, the current effect of the renovations is that we have no carpark. Honey Bear was working this morning and the prospect of parking at the school way up the road and transporting two small children a great distance by pram was unattractive. Happily, our good friends BT & Cruz invited me to park at their house and walk to church with them and their three gorgeous children.

We made it all the way to church and most of the way home without any more serious incident than a malfunctioning waterbottle*

Things only got weird at the top of the last hill. A very nice lady walking the other way up the street smiled as we passed and apparently felt the need to comment.

There are, I'm sure, any number of things that one could say when confronted with the sight of three adults and five children, all under the age of four, out for a walk together.

Many of them are even quite innocuous and sane.

In this case, however, what we got was:

"Wow, this looks an orphanage out for a day trip"




I like to think that I'm reasonably good with words, but I've been thinking about it for ten hours and I still have no idea what I should have said in response.

None at all.








* Not a metaphor

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about:

"We're taking them to the knackery. Smile at them; the poor innocent darlings have no idea!"

10:33 AM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

My grandfather is Chinese and my grandmother Anglo. When she used to take her seven (deep breath!) children out alone, people would stop her on the street and say:

"Aren't you good for taking all those little orphans into your home? Your husband must be very tolerant."

6:23 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

hm, i can't think either.

something about being angelina and brad would be a bit lame, and she wouldn't have gotten it.

i like the knackery one i think.

6:45 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Grover

This is just a guess, but has your daughter been keeping you up at nights lately?

Giggles

I would really love to know what your grandmother said next

Melbs

Are you sure you dont know my brother? He would have gone with an Angelina & Brad gag for sure.

In the unlikely event that I ever see this person again, I shall be better prepared.

8:31 PM  
Blogger actonb said...

But five children and three adults is nothing...

Stupid Old Peoples.

I have isshews today.

Also, this just in: Church Renos SUCK.

10:06 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Acton

Wow, that opening line really did catch your attention. Cool

8:21 PM  
Blogger meva said...

When MapMan and I (me?) got together we had 5 children under 8. Three girls were by a different incubator than I, and the 2 others were by Cypriot out of Meva. (I do hope you read the Form Guide occasionally.) The 4 eldest were beautiful, beautiful girls. The obvious youngest was the most glorious boy ever born. They are all our children.

We all crowded into a lift one morning on holiday on the Gold Coast (after much argument about who's turn it was to press the button) and a rather elderly lady was already in the lift, smiling indulgently at our lovelies as they noisily piled in. I got in last, just behind the little guy.

Our travelling companion beamed at me; positively shone and twinkled with love and understanding: "At last you got your boy, darlink!"

I gave her a hug.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home