Monday, April 21, 2008

Another little insight into why I turned out like this

Sunday was pleasant.

Sadly, Honey Bear was working from home so, after an entertaining morning of crawling around in between the roof and the ceiling trying to fix a downlight (don't ask) I took the boys off to church and then around to my parents house for the afternoon. The boys were thrilled to see their grandma and grandpa and to watch "Snoopy Come Home", and I got to eat Welsh hotpot for lunch and it was in every sense a Good Plan.

Later in the afternoon, we all walked down to the local primary school to visit the sheep and play on the various slides and other playground items. In the middle of lifting my 15.7kg Bundle from one platform to a somewhat higher one, rather than allowing him to walk across the chain-link bridge, I experienced the invigorating sensation of four different muscles in my lower back going PING in quick succession.

Happily, the PINGing stopped after a couple of minutes and there were no long term effects except that it made me feel like I was getting old and, for reasons I can't quite recall, I commented on this to my father.

He was, of course, amused, but didn't say too much. Things only got concerning when he decided to mention this to my mother, resulting in the following little conversation:

My father: Bad news, honey. INC is starting to feel the effects of old age.

My mother: That's not bad news, that's just to be expected.

INC: No. I prefer my father's point of view here. WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN "THAT'S TO BE EXPECTED"? etc

My father really did look like Christmas had made a mysterious and unscheduled mid-April appearance. The thing we all appreciated most is that if anyone other than my saintly mother had said this, I would have known that I was being sledged, but in this case she really was trying to help.

My father, meanwhile, spent the rest of the afternoon finding new and creative ways to insert the phrase "That's to be expected" into casual conversation and I am quietly confident that this will continue for several weeks.

Everyone who thinks my parents should have their own blog can leave their supportive comments below. Anyone who would like to point out that 34 is not actually all that old should feel free to say so, too.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

34 is only slightly older than 30 and I found a mofo of a white hair in my beard this morning. I, however, didn't tell anyone other than teh interwebs.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Whoa! Are you only 34?!? I assumed you were quite a bit older because you seemed quite mature, responsible and possess an excellent mind for the creation and implementation of Dad jokes.

10:27 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

My dad has been known to chuckle to himself for HOURS after making a joke he particularly likes.

One night after an especially groan-inducing joke, we could hear him giggling to himself from his bedroom after he went to bed. Some FIVE HOURS after original joke had been made.

This is, I have no doubt, where I get my smug, self-satisfaction with a well-made Dad joke.

Groverjones, I see your ONE white hair in beard and raise you a whole bunch of grey hairs on head and an worrying level of facial hair for a girl.

Like you, I keep this a secret from everyone but the internet.

SHHHH - don't tell!

12:47 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

34 is not old at all. as we say in our family, HOT PROPERTY!

so enjoy being 34, inc. very very quickly you will be 44 (!) and wonder how it happened.

trust me, for i am the sage in this instance.

12:54 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Grover
So, I'm only four years older than a guy whose other name is Old Man Stuart and who finds mofos of white hairs. This is not entirely comforting.

Adam
I have been doing Dad jokes since I was 14. Even my own father doesn;t think these jokes are funny

Giggles
My children will someday post similar things about me.

I see your grey hairs on head and raise you my rapidly greying eyebrows.

Melbs
Thank you for your sagacious counsel and kind words. I feel much better now.

....

Hang on, what do you mean VERY VERY QUICKLY YOU'LL BE 44?

8:10 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

meaning i'm there already, and i just don't know how it happened so fast.

but it's not that bad. it's all relative and you know what, there's always older.

it's about how you feel.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home