Wednesday, April 23, 2008

You know I needed to have my say/Don't need no life full of disarray

WARNING: This post contains references to songs that will get stuck in your head. If you are going to hate me for this, it's probably best to stop reading now.

Of course, if you're a big fan of early 90s Australian techno-pop, and you read the title, I'm pretty sure it's already too late so you may as well just read on...


In recent times, I have been foolishly listening to both commercial radio and the songs on my ipod that are there because they were automatically downloaded from itunes for free and I haven't yet removed them. So, here's some not-excessively-up-to-date news from the world of music.

Some introductions are too long
I have discovered that if you hear the introducetion to a song, and you think that it sounds remarkably familiar but you haven't heard it in years and you won't recognise it until the lyrics start, and the song is in fact "I need a lover who won't drive me crazy", then you will be ready to kill someone by the time JC Mellencamp finally starts singing.

For those who have always wondered, I googled it and found that the last line of the chorus is apparently "Some girl that knows the meaning of 'Hey hit the highway'", which just causes me to imagine a large group of confused women randomly punching roads.

The song also includes the line "Well I'm not wiped out by this poolroom life I'm living" so apparently JCM was having a 'completely mental day' when he wrote this.

I should mention at this point that my sister used to walk around the house singing "I need a brother who won't drive me crazy" but I am assured that this was not directed at me.


Playing in a cover band in the mid 90s can have long term effects
I know this because I was standing in the checkout line at Coles when I noticed that:
1. They were playing "Mr Jones" over the store PA
2. Without realising it, I had started singing the backing vocals in the chorus*
3. Out loud


Some songs entertain for far longer than one might expect
I was utterley surprised when, driving home late one night, I flicked over to Nova and heard the openning bars of Euphoria's "Love You right". It took me a while to figure out exactly why this made me so unreasonably happy. It turns out there are endless numbers of reasons

1. I love the rags-to-riches nature of Simon Baker-Denny's rise from extra in the video clip for this song, to murder victim who got two lines in LA Confidential** to star of the awesomely cheesy US prime time series, "The Guardian".

2. My 18 year old self particularly enjoyed the E-Street promos which featured this song as the soundtrack to Kate Raison steaming up a shower that, frankly, looked like it was already pretty hot before Marcus Graham turned up.

3. When I bought the album, I discovered that these guys somehow got Young MC to rap on one of the tracks. Like, you know, back when people had actually heard of him.

But, having checked with YouTube, the main reason was:

4. My 18 year old self's fondness for this dress, which, when worn by Holly Garnett, ensured that there was not a straight man anywhere across the nation who cared or even noticed that the band's second single was rubbish.


Remixes confuse me
My ipod features Groove Coverage's club mix of "Moonlight Shadow" by Mike Oldfield. However, there are entire verses where the beats have been removed entirely, which actually makes it impossible to dance to.

Particularly on a crowded bus.









*Sha la la, sha la la, yeah, if you must know

** This is apparently French for "The Secret Information"

3 Comments:

Blogger gigglewick said...

One might argue that with that attitude, JCM is lucky to have any kind of lover.

Re LYR - 'Slice of Heaven' has the same effect on me.

Sad.

Sad.

Sad.

4:45 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Dude
Totally with you on JCM. If Iever finish the post I started writing 3 months ago about the worst lyrics ever, this song will now be included.

I'm assuming that Slice of Heaven has the same effect on you as Love You Right has on me in the sense of making you happy. If it has the effect of making you reminisce about Holly Garnett's gold mesh dress (or Simon Baker-Denny's awesomely creative shirtless dance moves) then, well, that would be, among other things, a wacky coincidence.

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home