Thursday, September 21, 2006

Play something you wrote

Today’s question to my reader(s).

Has there ever been a cover version that was better than the original?

The following are presented for your consideration:

Goldfinger: 99 Luftballons
Much as I liked the original (and I’m nearly old enough to remember it), this cover seriously rocked

The Bangles: Hazy Shade of Winter
I would usually mark them down for leaving out the bit about vodka and lime, but Vicki Petersen’s rampaging guitar riffs more than made up for it.

The Living End: Tainted Love
Then again, apparently unlike everyone else in the world around my age, the original never really grabbed me. I don’t know why.

Chocolate Starfish: You’re so vain
Took one of the best lyrics ever and added some grunt. Fabulous. Even better than Adam Thomson’s attempts to pick up Pamela Anderson at the ARIAS.

The Chantoozies: Slightest notion (Originally recorded by James Reyne as “Motors too fast”)
Nice to have some idea of what the lyrics actually were.*

Alien Ant Farm: Smooth Criminal
You have to love a bunch of punks like this who called their first album “Greatest Hits” and their second album “ANThology”.

They took a moderately successful Michael Jackson song and gave it the full cali-punk treatment. They were probably as surprised as everyone else when this worked.

Frente: Bizarre Love Triangle
This may annoy the purists, but I declare this to be the best cover version of any song anywhere ever.


Have I missed any?





* On the other hand, I once played in a band that covered “Fall of Rome” and even when we could understand every word it still didn’t make sense. Everybody said/ What’s that sound/ Put it in a skillet and slap it all around. Huh? What?

9 Comments:

Blogger Watershedd said...

We have slightly differing musical tastes, I'm not Craig, but one that has to go on your list Fields of Gold, originally by Sting, the cover by Eva Cassidy. Absolutely one of my all time favourites. Sting's version I always liked, but Eva's is just amazing.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush when Placebo re-did it..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Up_That_Hill

9:24 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

watershedd

Hi, how's that new job of yours going?

I know we have somewhat different musical tastes (It wasn't too hard to figure out who you are from reading your profile)


Anon

I love their original stuff but I'm entirely unfamiliar with that particular cover. I will listen out for it. And thanks for stopping by.

12:58 AM  
Blogger Watershedd said...

Wasn't planning on anonumity for the people close in my life. New job starts on Monday. Moderate levels of panic until then trying to work out the road system and especially the buses. Honey Bear can attest to my good taste in music after she visits!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Melba said...

sid vicious' remake of sinatra's "i did it my way"?

i can't think of anything else, cause i'm not into music.

sorree.

11:30 AM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

I once heard Nick Barker do an absolutely amazing cover of 'Cinnamon Girl' by Neil Young.

I myself am wondering when some one is going to take on 'Slice of Heaven' by Dave Dobbyn.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Snoskred said...

Sorry about the anon thing, I went over to Blogger Beta and then it wouldn't let me comment anywhere. I'm hoping it is fixed, this is the first test, cross fingers.

So hi, I'm Snoskred and your blog is on my list of ones to read ;) so I stop by often.

Gigglewick, please NO! The minute you mentioned it that song started up in my head, and now I won't be able to get rid of it.. :(

I'll have to add it to the music on hold list for the Nigerian Scammers.. ;) along with all the David Hasselhoff.. hehe

10:30 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

MG
Does it irreparably damage my punk rocker cred if I admit I have never heard Sid's version of My Way?

Gigglewick
Was this recorded somewhere? It sounds wonderful (the Nick Barker one, not Slice of Heaven).

I actually liked Slice of Heaven when it came out but I was quite young and so anything catchy was in. Then again, I still like the Bangles, the Veronicas and S Club 7's early work (when there were still seven of them) so claiming that my tastes have improved over time may be inaccurate.

Snoskred
Welcome back. I remember your comment one one of my early posts. I tried to include your blog on my list of links but it seemed to have ceased to exist.
Your switch to Beta explains everything. I'll try again when I next update my links.

Your blog would not let me leave comments (I hear a few people are having this problem since they switched to the Beta) so let me just add that yes, I knew Dave Grohl was in Nirvana. Then again, I am quite old.

6:33 AM  
Blogger sharpatootha said...

The Martha Wainwright and Dan Kelly version of "Slave To Love" (Bryan Ferry) on the RockWiz duets record is pretty kickarse.

Hello to your very enjoyable blog, btw. :)

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home