Saturday, November 17, 2007

Schools there are many/ renowned in our story

Yes, folks, Carey Grammar may have the stupidest school song ever, but they now balance it out by having Excellent Dude of the Month as their headmaster.


Phil de Young, asked by The Age what he thought of the government's latest bribe (otherwise known as some sort of education rebate) briefly conceded that it would lighten the load for parents, before adding "But is it going to solve long term equity problems? I wouldn't think so". He added to my reasons to love him endlessly by adding that the biggest challenge that both parties should tackle in education was disadvantage - or "unequal outcomes because of unequal opportunities" - across the government and non-government systems.



The next day, he was back again. The Age asked him about the economic merits of the rebates.

He said:


"Without getting into marginal propensities to consume, one would assume that the rebate would find its way into expenditure patterns of consumers and, clearly, have the potential to be inflationary."

And my favourite one:

"Personally I'd rather see the surplus going back into infrastructure, perhaps expanding educational opportunities, on research, on building schools or hospitals."


I'm glad that he didn't go into marginal propensities to consume, because frankly I just can't see how a tendency to eat too much of a polyunsaturated butter-substitute is relevant, but apart from that this man is my new hero.

All former students of that school must be pretty happy right now. Except for Peter Costello, who is, quite possible, a bit cross.



In more concerning news, less than two weeks from the election, a member of the Coalition has finally given some indication that he is aware of what might actually be important to voters and, even more surprisingly, he is willing to discuss it honestly.

Barnaby Joyce, who really should switch parties now, said this week that the government would lose if the latest polls were repeated on election day. He added:

"It's important to say back to people that you understand the way they're thinking, so that they get the feeling that you are in touch with them. If you say 'I understand you're ambivalent and I'm going to tell you why you shouldn't be (that's good).

"If you say 'I think you're wetting yourself with excitement over how excellent our campaign is', then they'll just say 'Well no, not really mate'."


So, with exactly one week to go, I have a very important message for our Prime Minister:

KEEP DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU'VE BEEN DOING. IT'S WORKING GREAT!
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, DON'T LISTEN TO BARNABY! IT'S A TRICK!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dad used to sing that to me as a lullaby. I think it's one of the first songs I learned.
Of course there were no 'heirs' then...

Carey's true SONS will through life play the game!

9:46 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

I assume you want Barnaby in the Liberals?

Because you'll notice he said that it's only important that "people get the feeling that you are in touch with them".

You don't actually have to, you know, give a sh-t. As Tony Abbott has ably demonstrated this week, with his use of "inverted commas".

5:07 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Clearly not a true son
Hi and welcome. I can certainly see why that song would work as a lullaby.

Just one word of warning. If you start commenting using a slightly obscure reference to something to do with high school as your name, it may stick and you'll end up being known by some odd name like "I'm not Craig" forever.

Best avoided, really.

Giggles
Yes, I did notice that Barnaby was mostly concerned with people 'feeling' he was in touch, rather than actually being in touch. Even allowing for that, I want this guy to switch sides and join us because he seems to have a few clues and a sense of what is important to people, because he clearly hates John Howard as much as the rest of us, because he has an entertaining name, and because he's not up for re-election again until 2010 and a party switch would just add insult to injury for Costello and whichever other members of the coalition of the evil still remain in parliament a week from now.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Leilani said...

INC - love this post, love the fact that the private educators are able to see the inequities more clearly than our own shallow leader. I don't know the school song, can you hum a few bars?

9:23 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Leilani

Hmm hmm hmm hm hm

hmm hmm hm hmm hm

hm hm hm hm, hm hm hm hm hm hmmmm

etc

9:52 PM  
Blogger Leilani said...

Why thank you, that is certianly better than my old school song that featured a very Angels-like "Get F'd" at the end. I don't think it was in the official lyrics though.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home