Friday, October 03, 2008

Maturity

Is not something you're likely to find on this blog on a Friday night. Particularly after half a litre of Dutch beer.


So, instead, I present our first, and probably last, game of "Name that flower".


A few clues:


1. It's a particular species of lily, common to the Smoky Mountains region of North Carolina.


2. The sepals and petals are up to 4 inches long.


3. It looks like this:



4. It has the absolutely greatest name of any flower anywhere in thw whole world ever.


The answer is, quite seriously.....

.

.

.

.

.

.

Wait for it

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

LILIUM SUPERBUM

And for those who think that I surely must be making it up, details can be found here. Also here, here and right over there.

After reading it a couple of times, I think I understand how that name happened.

This does not make it any less funny.

5 Comments:

Blogger Melba said...

i thought it was a tiger lily, which is also a pretty rockin' name.

but superbum is better.

i think.

9:17 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

I have the same reaction every time I go past 'Superbo' on Fitzroy street.

Cannot stop myself pronouncing it super-BO rather than suPERbo.

Once I mispronounced ebola the wrong way and was so roundly humiliated that I now avoid all attempts to use the word as no matter what I do I cannot remember the right pronunciation. I'm quite phobic about it.

9:23 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Melbs
It is very closely related to the tiger lily. Presumably, somewhere in the world there is a young lady who is right now thanking her lucky stars that she narrowly escaped being named Heavenly Hiraani Superbum.

Giggles
I'm pretty sure that everyone I know is phobic about ebola. You have, however, gone above and beyond by being phobic of even saying it. Well done.

Next time I'm in Fitzroy Street, I shall ask them what exactly is so special about that "Bo" and I'll let you know.

7:57 PM  
Blogger meva said...

Darn! I was wrong! I thought it was Lilium Hugearse.

Oh well!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Kay Adams said...

Heehee.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home