Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Al'Thor

Does anyone else miss those posts full of random and often stupid dot points? I KNOW I DO.

Lets get on with that important work.

  • For years, I worried that I was not musically educated enough because I had no idea who Louis Burdett was. It took me until this week to discover that he is just some Sydney musician who knows Tim Freedman and who is, apparently, less than thrilled that a song written about him last decade is still way more famous than he is.
  • Now that I think about it, it's possible that none of Tim Freedman's friends were entirely thrilled about that song.
  • If you were taking your very young children to the zoo for the first time, and you started chatting to the guy you parked next to because he also had young kids, would you, in the short time it took you to get from the carpark to the main gate, tell him all about the fight you just had with your husband because his parents insisted that he go off to find firewood with them even though you had been planning this zoo trip for ages and had put it off several times so he wouldn't miss it and now he wasn't there anyway?
  • If you did do that, would you be a little bit pissed if you ever found out that I put that story on the internet?
  • The zip on my suit pants got so comprehensively stuck this morning that it took two hours to sort it out. I guess it's good that, after 35 years on this planet, in which time I thought I had experienced pretty much every available emotion, it was good to feel something entirely unique. It would have been better of that feeling was not best described as "Trapped in my own pants"
  • Louis Burdett could probably swap a few stories with Marty Jones from California. For those who don't immediately recognise the name, Marty Jones was in every band that Adam Duritz played in before Counting Crows. It can't have escaped Marty's notice that his buddy Adam wrote a song about a couple of unsuccessful musicians dreaming about being famous, the result of which is that now one of them is, but it's not the one the song was named after.
  • It's good to see that I'm not the only one who realised that the fastest way to irritate Malcolm Turnbull would be to say the word 'republic' on his first day as leader.
  • Games invented by my children in recent weeks include "Pillow on You" and "That's not a beach, that's my head". A full list, possibly with explanations, will be posted on WDTAOK when I remember to do it.can be found on WDTAOK RIGHT NOW
  • I'm not sure which is worse for my musical credibility - not knowing much about the Whitlams or knowing way too much about Counting Crows. It doesn't matter because, judging by the react I got from a couple of fellow bloggers when I revealed this snippet in an email chat last week, I will lose any last shread of credibility I may have once had when I reveal that I once played in a band that did a heck of a good cover of "Paradise City"

And that's it for now. At some stage, there will be a more coherent post about the most interesting weekend I just had, and, in particular, about a very fun evening with the two incomparably awesome young ladies better known to the internet as Actonb and Gigglewick.

And, really, props to them just for showing up after the Paradise City revelation.

A very happy rest of the week to you all.

10 Comments:

Blogger meva said...

Well! I just think that one room containing INC, GW and ActonB must resemble my very own personal idea of paradise!

Please blog about it soon!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

trapped in your pants could almost be as good as trapped in the closet.

maybe.

have you looked up that little beauty yet?


x

ps i am reduced to reading precisely two blogs cause no one is writing. there's mine, then another which is pretty sporadic and one which is regular.

sad isn't it?

9:30 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Meva
I will get to blogging about this soon, I hope. It's currently part of a larger post but said post has grown to around 1000 words and I may need to break it down a little.

Not tonight, though, as I am supposed to be working right now.

Melbs
Sorry to hear that you're reading only two blogs. If this is one of them, I am guessing it's the 'sporadic' one.

I have seen about half of Trapped in the Closet and I will get to the rest soon. You're right, it's a gem.

8:59 PM  
Blogger actonb said...

heh Meva, it was my personal idea of heaven too... on Lygon St no less - the quintessential Melbourne experience in fact! And trams!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Ms Batville said...

Just as well your children did not invent 'Trapped in your pants'as a game.

11:39 AM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Well, there wasn't *quite* enough "accidentally" running into George Clooney who is my new next door neighbour following my purchase of a delightful villa on Lake Como for it to be known truly as "heaven" for me....

But it was pretty damn close!

10:23 AM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Actonb

I'm pretty sure that to make it the quintessential Melbourne experience, we would have had to add seeing some band none of us had heard of at the Empress, a quick trip out to Preston for a truly awesome kebab, and an entirely unnecessary trip to St Kilda to look for penguins on the pier.

Which sounds like a good plan for next time you're in town.

Ms Batville

I think you need to add the word 'yet' somewhere in that sentence.

Giggles

Pfft, if you want Clooney and Italian Villas, I need at least a couple of days notice.

Please note that what you actually get may be something along the lines of a tiramisu from Sophia's and season 1 of ER in my loungeroom, but at least it won't look like I didn't go to any trouble.

7:42 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Penguins shmenguins.

also if this was the 90s, that band that no one had ever heard of would have had three of my friends in it.

But I'm just trying to maintain my coolsie yoof self....it's not working, is it?

9:41 PM  
Blogger actonb said...

Erm scuze me....?

TRAMS!

That is all... oh. cept the HOOK TURNS! And zen navigation techniques that would make Dirk Gently proud!

10:08 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

AB you've not had the true cultural experience unless you've done a hook turn.

Also, frankly the city just confuses me these days: SINCE WHEN DOES COLLINS STREET EXTEND BEYOND SPENCER etc.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home