Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Weihnachtliche Milchschokolade mit Gewurzen und Orangenol

Well it's been a very pleasant few days, thanks to a visit from my sister in law, her husband, and my two beautiful nephews.

One of the many unexpected pleasures of the visit was the discovery that my in-laws are obsessed with playing Carcassonne, an intriguing little German boardgame which I must buy soon.

Another was watching Honey Bear make her sister laugh so hard that English Breakfast Tea nearly came out her nose, but back to the board game.

Not only is it fun to play but, being of germanic origin, it was the perfect excuse to finally open the Schokomod'l that had been sitting in my cupboard and freaking me out at night ever since our neighbours gave it to us last Christmas.

This leads me to comment on the curious fact that, when I googled Schokomod'l in preparation for writing this post, I could only find one reference to it anywhere on the entire web.

And it's here. Yes, my little blog is the only place on the internet to go for information on schokomod'ls. I knew if I searched hard enough, soon or later I would find my niche.

In view of the very weighty responsibilities that come with being the leading world expert on freaky Austrian Christmas snacks, let me tell you more about this exotic and artistic treat. Even though my research is, of necessity, confined to what I can read off the back of the box.

Salzburger Schokomod'ls are made using the original molds from the Peter Nagy chandlery in Salzburg. The box optimistically describes its contents as "a feast for the eyes" even though a brief glance at the freaky little eyes and calmly homicidal facial expression of the chocolate figurine could provide a month's worth of nightmares for an entire unit of SAS troops. Seriously, this thing looks like it should be coming to life and trying to kill Buffy. Or spending the early 70s stalking Jon Pertwee.

Once you close your eyes and take a bite, you will discover that chocolate infused with orange oil, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and cardamom tastes, well, about as good as you might expect.

This 'exceptional chocolate specialty' (yes, the box again) is only made at Christmas time and is available from, well, my neighbours' house. And thus is my knowledge of schokomod'ls exhausted.


All suggestions as to what I should give my neighbours for Christmas this year will be received with enormous gratitude.

2 Comments:

Blogger meva said...

Where did they find Schokomod'l? And why?

If you want to give them an odd chocolately gift at Christmas, I'm sure you could find a delicious easter egg somewhere.

(I am amused that my word verification is 'rided'. I rided it all night long.

10:59 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

My neighbours thank you for the kind thoughts.

I may one day ask them where they found schokomod'l. I can't think of any diplomatic way to ask why.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home