Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Perthmodernism

I have just spent a mostly enjoyable weekend in Perth. The reason for the sudden trip to Perth were family related and not particularly cheery, but here’s a few things I enjoyed:

The Perth Modern School
I came across what appeared to be a fairly normal looking primary school/high school with this somewhat curious name. I love the idea of Perthmodernism as a philosophy or possibly a new form of art. Based on last weekend, the painting would be done almost entirely in blue and yellow and they would be quite loud and cheerful.

They also do surrealism quite well
My brother and I found a yacht club in the middle of nowhere that was, as one might expect at 5pm last Saturday, full of merrily pickled Eagles supporters. A delightful young lady approached my brother and I, and asked “Are you guys from “The X-Files?”

I was wearing jeans with a faded blue T-Shirt. My brother was wearing cream-coloured pants and a jumper. The only basis I could see for anyone suggesting that we might be from that show was that my brother was wearing sunglasses that could at a stretch be compared to the sunglasses occasionally worn by FBI agents, and I was talking on a mobile phone.

I was completely baffled. My brother, bless him, did not let such trivial matters concern him, and instead responded with a cheery “Yes, you can call me Fox”.

It’s laid back and wacky
I stayed with my cousin. I had met his wife once, for about ten minutes, six years ago, and she insisted on picking me up from the airport and driving me wherever I needed to get to that day. She also suggested that I should wear feathers in my hair so she would recognize me. I dutifully taped a red feather to the side of my baseball cap. I loved that no one either on the plane or anywhere in the airport so much as blinked at this ridiculous behaviour.

I should add that my cousin’s wife is wonderful, their 18 month old son is simply gorgeous and their five year old daughter is utterly charming.

It’s a small world after all
The first person I met in Perth grew up in the suburb I now live in, went to the same high school as me in Melbourne and he is now dating the sister of one of my oldest and closest friends. This is truly sweet as we used to tease my friend’s sister about liking this guy when we were all at school together in 1987, so we have been waiting for these two kids to get together for NEARLY TWENTY YEARS.

Also, most enthusiastic props to this guy for having the sheer nerve to hang around the greater Subiaco region in a Swans jumper the day before the Grand Final, particularly as he is not, as far as any of us know, a Swans supporter. At all.

They have amusing chain stores
We found a recently developed suburb with a brand new shopping centre. Only two shops appeared that have actually opened yet. One was a newsagent and the other was “A Taste of Britain”. This shop sells products that you simply can’t get in Australian, like, um, bleach.

Seriously, the product most prominently displayed was a specifically British brand of bleach. They also had curry simmer sauces, noodles in a bowl of the just add water variety, and Cadbury Roses chocolates in a tin (not in a cardboard box the way we unwashed colonials eat them).

About the only things that seemed in any way uniquely British were the peas in a can and the boxes of powdered beer batter and just-add-water Yorkshire puddings. I really do salute the courage of whoever decided to set up this shop next to the soon to be opened Coles supermarket.

They make great Thai food
The gelati is also excellent.

They really do hug strangers in the street
Possibly this would not have been happening if West Coast had not just won the best Grand Final since 1990. It was great anyway.

I also enjoyed the fact that at 11.00am the next day people were still driving around in car with a flag sticking out of every single window and tooting at pedestrians while yelling “Eaaaagles” regardless of whether said pedestrian (me) was wearing a scarf or indeed anything blue or yellow. Is it possible to punch the air with enthusiastic irony? I think I managed it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

I'm happy to vote for the first person you met in Perth for The Awesomest Dude On A Grand Final Weekend Ever! award.

12:10 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

I'm assuming that bleach wasn't intended as a literal TASTE of Britain.

It certainly didn't taste like bleach last time I was there, but perhaps that's what the white cliffs of Dover are made out of.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Snoskred said...

I used to get to Perth a couple of times a year, back in the days of Ansett and their mystery flights. You'd leave Adelaide (where I used to live) arrive in Perth before you left somehow, spend the whole day in the city, fly back about 5pm and get back to Adelaide around 10. It truly was like time travel in more ways than one.. hehe and yet it was so cheap! less than $100 if i remember correctly.

10:10 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

adam

Who runs this award? I want to vote for that guy too

gigglewick

I hope you're right.

I'm not sure what Britain currently tastes like. I have not been there since the dying days of Tory government in the early 90s. From memory, it mostly tasted of resentment, frustration and, oddly enough, turkey burgers

snoskred

$100? How times have changed. I had to get to Perth on short notice and as I understand things the legal title in my left kidney is now owned by Richard Branson.

I can continue to use it until he needs a transplant under a terribly complex lease-back arrrangement. Fortunately, the monthly rent can be paid using frequent flyer points so you save money in the long run.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Melba said...

we were at the show on sunday in melbourne and there were HOARDS of women (especially) in their eagles regalia. they were in 7th heaven. imagine the blissful way things turned out for them. grand final, their team wins. then the next day the royal melbourne show. what a bonus.

i don't like the new showgrounds. too much food, not enough animals.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Did the animals become the food?

2:20 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Well, did they?

9:26 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

I'm Not Craig,

I have it on good evidence that it tasted like some kind of foul excuse for tandoori chicken salad IN A CUP* from mcdonalds last time I was there (2001).

I chose instead to lick the white cliffs of dover.

Mmmm. Bleachy.

* I believe this was a stage where everything good was believed to be served in a cup. This was wrong. Everything good is served on a stick. I may well blog about this later.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home