Monday, May 28, 2007

Are you Jason?

Yes, another open letter.


Dear Jason

Dude, sorry to use your real name and all, but I figure you probably won’t mind since you have cheerfully been writing it all over the slides, ladders and swings at one of the parks I regularly visit with my children.

Tagging has always struck me as one of the less well thought out crimes in the world. Tagging involves, in essence, writing your own name. The fact that you spell it cool is really not the point. Congratulations, Jason, on taking the incredible stealth one step further by not only writing your own name in rather neat and legible letters, but adding your postcode.

I am not actually one of those law and order types who routinely gets exceptionally cross about these things. I know this because I have spent the last 10 years defending people who have been charged with, among other things, criminal damage (or, as the kids are calling it these days, tagging). I always try to be less concerned with a bit of minor property damage and more concerned that there are young people who feel so alienated and disenfranchised that they feel that they can only express themselves through damaging property.

I must confess that in your case, I am slightly less sympathetic than usual since I looked more carefully at your postcode and realised that you live in a suburb where I can’t even afford to rent, let alone ever buy a house, even though I earn what could be considered a reasonably nice salary.

If you are, as I could reasonably suspect, not actually poor and disenfranchised at all but a bored middle class teenager from a rather pleasant suburb, may I very respectfully request that you take up polo or stamp collecting or whatever it is that you society types do and, more importantly, the next time you feel like making the local park just a little uglier, could you perhaps consider than there are roughly a billion other things you could be doing with your time, and all of them are probably better than that.

Yours, most sincerely, etc

INC

PS For my son’s expert analysis, click here

4 Comments:

Blogger Leilani said...

Jason is a tool. He's probably the same one those dudes are always looking for in Russell Street when they ask, "Are you Jason?"
Someone recently put some new graffiti up around the corner which reads "Deep Purple". I mean how old is theis graffiti artist?

1:09 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Leilani

People have been looking all over town for Jason for many, many years.IT seemed like every second person I met on Smith Street in the late 90s was also looking for this guy. Do you think he's finally decided to start dropping hints?

Also, I checked out your blog and enjoyed it greatly. Is there any chance you could pop down to Moe for the day and review the drive program on Star FM? Those guys combine utterly random musical selection and utter lack of preparation and it's actually wonderfully engaging.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Leilani said...

INC I will absolutely add Star FM's drive show to my list, I love local radio. And apart from the bad press I love Moe too and do find reasons to visit throughout the year. I've heard Jason tunes in to this show too.

3:05 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Leilani

I will look forward to your review of that drive show.

I should say that the Moe visit was purely for professional reasons, but I do salute them for keeping it real by still having a Schweppes Cola vending machine at the Court house.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home