Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I hope he tells us more about the pumpkin

Just finding a pumpkin lurking under a tree in my back yard was enough to confuse me a little. It's baffling that on several occasions I have been within two metres of a huge pumpkin and I was completely unaware of this fact.

My confusion only becomes more pronounced when I consider that we have been renting here for about four years so if we had one of whatever sort of plant pumpkins grow on, I would have noticed by now. It's not like pumpkins are small things that are easy to miss. And I've been paying attention. I know we have apples, camelias and fairly small grapefruits around the place. Surely I would have noticed pumpkins.

Lets just say that word again, shall we?
Pumpkins.

On closer investigation, I found that the massive pumpkin was still attached to some sort of lengthy stalk which, if followed (which one of us was doing the stalking? Discuss) leads over the fence and into the neighbour's back yard.

I just cannot imagine the set of circumstances that led to a pumpkin getting right over the fence and about four metres into my yard. It's not like they climb. Sure, I used to live next door to a dingo that did this, but never a pumpkin.

Did the neighbours just decide they had one too many of these things? Was there some form of exceptionally subtle tornado? Is it the first stage of the invasion? OR WHAT?


I could become seriously obsessed with trying to figure this out.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Triffids

Just saying....

10:16 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Wow that was quick

10:21 PM  
Blogger Snoskred said...

Isn't it obvious?

Why do birds suddenly appear
anytime you are near?
Just like me,
they long to be
close to you..

You're just lucky it was only a pumpkin and not a large flock of birds.. ;)

So, you going to make soup now or what?

12:55 AM  
Blogger meva said...

What if it's just popping down to the shops for some milk? Who'll feel like silly billy then, eh?

9:52 AM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Grover
Any number of things in that garden remind me of triffids. The pumpkin was not one of them

I hope your daughter is doing well.

Snoskred
So pumpkins long to be close to me? I have often thought so.

Good call on the soup

Meva
How fast do pumpkins normally move? I had discounted the popping down to the shops theory because it's been in my yard for at least four days now, but I would hate to make a tragic soupy mistake.

I need your advice. Fast.

9:50 PM  
Blogger actonb said...

We had pumpkins in our last house. They seriously just kinda appear. Even in a vegie patch. Weird. They're like chokos. One minute there's nothing there - the next your fence is covered with vines adn feral vegies which you have to sell to Maccas.
And in an interesting switched situation, our neighbours STOLE OUR PUMPKINS! Yes - one day while we were at work they nipped over the fence and nicked 'em. HOW RUDE!

11:17 AM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

I'm with "invasion".

Luckily, unlike Dr Who, you needn't enact a range of "spooky" sound effects and torturous sado-masochistic renderings of leggy assistants - just chop the thing off the vine and make yourself the aforementioned soup.

I'm waiting to see which vegetable seeds survive our compost heap.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Watershedd said...

Roasted pumpkin, pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, toasted pumpkin seeds...can I come play with Honey Bear in the kitchen?!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Melba said...

craig better a pumpkin than a pillow-case-size bag o' green stuff which sells for heaps per ounce.

know what i mean?

at least you don't have to hand the pumpkin in to the police.

and before you think me mad, we did find just this in our backyard.

dope beats pumpkin.

and mystery remains unsolved.

4:57 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Actonb
I would have been less freaked if it had appeared in a vegetable patch. But the middle of our lawn? Wacky.

ALmost as wacky as your neighbours stealing your pumpkins.

*freaks out again*

Giggles
You're right about cutting it off the vine, but I will insist on doing sound effects Dr Who style while cutting.

But that's just me.

Watershedd
Yes, anytime.

Melbs
I remember that post, so I don't think you're mad.

I do think you're fabulous.

I'm also impressed that you have apparently invented a new form of paper-rock-scissors.

I think I should hand the pumpkin in to the police, just because they would have to work out what to do with it.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home