Monday, April 02, 2007

You gotta love this city (of Adelaide)

And I do.

I realise that bizarre and random song selections on a supermarket PA system are not unique to Adelaide, but I'm pretty sure no one does it better than the Woolworths near my sister-in-law's place. Anyone who can go straight from "I want it that way" to Amy Grant's "Every Heartbeat" is a wacky music genius. The same supermarket also deserves endless credit for playing a country version of Shania Twain's "That don't impress me much" that I had never before heard outside of Nashville.

I should also note that one of the many benefits of being in a city where I know about 8 people is that there was absolutely no reason not to entertain my son with a particularly enthusiastic Backstreet Boys singalong session in the tinned vegetables aisle. I may have to shop at Coles next time I visit.

While we're acknowledging great musical moments in Adelaide, I was baffled to learn that the local primary school choir has a repetoire that includes Shannon Noll's "Shine". My niece, who is in the choir, finds this ridiculous. I didn't get to see a live performance but she did play me a recorded version of it. The massed group of 10 year olds earnestly singing "This is our new national anthem" was truly unintentional comedy at its finest.

Moving on to other fine features of Adelaide, of all the great Chinese Restaurant names in the world, "Wok on Fire" deserves to make the top ten.

And finally, whilst this is in no way specific to any South Austrlian capital city, go and see "The Illusionist".

Now.

2 Comments:

Blogger littlefaeriegirl said...

i am glad you liked adelaide.

i quite like it too.

i sing to my kids whenever i want, doesnt matter where i am. they are 5 and 7 and the looks on their faces are priceless

ps. the illusionist was fab

9:29 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Littlefaeriegirl

I visit Adelaide at least once per year as it's one of my favourite places in the world. I spent most of last year trying to find a job in Adelaide so I could move there. It didn't work but it was a nice idea.


I plan to keep up the singing to my kids thing for many years to come.

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home