Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Someone's been paying attention

A couple of recent conversations with my beautiful two year old have made it very clear that this child has a knack for picking up new words and phrases quickly, and also a gift for comedy.

I worked out that he was geting quite articulate recently when he announced "I'm just going to get this piece sausage, I'll be right back". And I was most please when he came out with "Finish your wine, daddy" a few nights ago.

I think it was around two weeks ago that we had a conversation that went like this:

Bundle: It's time for stories
INC: Daddy just needs to finish his dinner, then we'll do stories
Bundle (looking out the window) It's getting darker and darker and darker

I should point out that it was around 6.40pm, which means it was around 20 minutes before we usually start bedtime stories, and it was broad daylight.

And then there was our conversation about a toy truck that didn't seem to be working, despite Bundle repeatedly pressing the button that usually makes it go all noisy.

Bundle: We've got flat batteries
INC: Can I have a look at that
Bundle. Yes. Of course you can, daddy.

Possibly my favourite, though, was a conversation we had last night:

Bundle: I've got a question, Daddy
INC: And what question is that?
Bundle: It's your question
INC: Really? It's my question?
Bundle: It's my question now
INC: And which question is it?
Bundle: Number five.

Can anyone tell me how to answer that one?

12 Comments:

Blogger gigglewick said...

INCraig,

I've had to answer the following in the past six months:

- Why is spiders?
- Why didn't I know Anne when I was born?
- Why don't I go to hospital?
- What do flies do?

Mr Fix had a similar experience to you when we went out for breakfast with my sister. Grizzlewick informed his father that he could have a sip of milkshake, "Only after you've eaten ALL OF YOUR BACON DADDY". That was a prime case of chickens coming home to roost (or pigs, I'm not sure).

Grizzlewick also immortalised my love of drinking at the supermarket the other day by screaming "Wine Mummy! We need wine!!!!" at the top of his lungs. Of course, I was distracted with the EFTPOS machine and didn't notice this until some one pointed it out later. * sigh *

It's astonishing how quickly "Just because" becomes a reasonable answer to wide-eyed questions from children.

3:41 PM  
Blogger meva said...

When I wouldn't buy something for young Bopper at the supermarket, he gave me the death glare and said, "You're a HANGING BASKET, Mummy!". That really hurt.

11:28 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Giggles
That comment made me smile, all day. The best thing about posting about my children is that sometimes I get to hear Grizzlewick stories.

Do you think we should start a community blog dedicated to stories about our kids? I'm betting Meva and Actonb would be in.

Meva
"Hanging basket" is the new "dessicated coconut".

9:59 PM  
Blogger actonb said...

Heh.

I'd be in on it, as I'm afraid my own blog is turning just a bit too mommyblog for my liking! And I get to throw in angsty 9-going-on-17 year old's comments too. Because they're just So Much Fun right now.
Unfortunately I usually can't impart the right amount of eye-rolling...

11:34 AM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Awwww.

Thanks, INCraig!

Perhaps we could call it

"we do talk about our kids"

GW

4:32 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

That's genius!!

I had to read it a few times to get it - and get it I did, Bundle is smarter than me!

Damn.

5:40 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Actonb
Fantastic. Children of all ages are definitely welcome.

Let's see if we can get Melbourne Girl to join in too.

Gigglewick
Great title. DAre I ask what the web address would be?

Adam
If you understood that last one, you're doing way better than me.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the answer the question number five.

Perhaps he meant to say "mambo",

7:27 AM  
Blogger Melba said...

hey all. i like the title, yes.

i'd be in but can't promise how much i'd contribute. just some gems now and then when i get a chance?

i try not to be too mummy-blog at my blog as well so would be good to have somewhere to offload more of the sentimental uncool stuff, amongst people who are all, well, in the same boat. for it is a boat, isn't it? a rather large, slow, leaky boat that is going somewhere, not sure where.

i like my boat a lot.

2:46 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

MG
Glad you like the title, but I'm not sure how the rest of your food chewing peeps would feel about it.

Whatever it's called, it would be fun to do, although I am worried that if I do all my daddy blogging at another location, then this little blog right here is going to get really really quiet.

Still, if someone with technical skills wants to set this up, I'm in.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Melba said...

the wdcof people are not precious about it, i wouldn't think. it would be a nice homage, but i could run it by them?

otherwise another title is cool too, because talking about kids rocks my world. (!)

i am not technical and have no time. someone else?

12:09 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

And it's done. If the good folks at WDCOF hate the title, I'll change it.

Everyone who wants to post stuff to 'We do talk about our kids', please send an email to notcraigorama@gmail.com

7:09 AM  
Blogger Watershedd said...

Perhaps the question number five is the answer to Deep Thought's answer of 42.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home