Thursday, May 31, 2007

There are wolves after me

Sign that I am getting old
I heard Feargal Sharkey singing “You little Thief” on MMM and I actually listened to it


Sign that it may not be as bad as I thought
I very briefly considered feeling nostalgic and but I didn’t, because I just couldn’t cope with the dissonance between the bitter declaration that “There’s no hard feelings/ there’s no feelings at aaaaaaaallll” and the stupidly cheerful horn section


Sign that I am getting old
I now get exceptionally cross when the neighbours start playing loud, bad music at 2.00am


Sign that it may not be as bad as I thought
I am still not willing to call the police. Instead, I prefer to go storming over to their place and confront 30 complete strangers, several of whom are bigger than me and all of whom were drunk enough to want to have a go.

Also, I have done this more than once and I continue to get out of there alive.


Sign that I am getting old
Grey hairs


Sign that it may not be as bad as I thought
Each one is still an event worthy of comment


Sign that I am getting old
I heard “She’s my Man” by the Scissor Sisters and all I could think about was how much it sounded like Billy Joel’s “Tell her about it”


Sign that it may not be as bad as I thought
I still like the Scissors Sisters song much better and I think the video is truly excellent

Or maybe it is
I have only seen that video because my 18 year old niece decided I needed to be educated in what the kids are listening to these days.



Sign that I am getting old
I am no longer as much of a Wil Anderson fan as I used to be


Sign that it may not be as bad as I thought
It’s nothing to do with a changing sense of humour or increasingly conservative political views, and all because the first thing I heard him do on his new show was back-announce a Simple Minds song, and the second thing was to announce how we could vote for Fifi on Dancing With the Stars. At that point, I suspect he hadn’t been completely frank about having complete creative control. At least, I hope he wasn’t.


Sign that I am getting old
I was listening to my sons’ HI-5 CD and I realized how much it reminds me of a Debbie Gibson record. Then I remembered that I own a copy of “Electric Youth” which I bought not long after it was released

Sign that it may not be as bad as I thought
Actually, this is just bad. Dude, seriously, why would you post this. Sure, only 15 people read this blog each day, but that’s still 15 people who now think you’re an idiot.

Stop it stop it stop it before you tell people that Hi-5 also sounds a lot like “Steps” AND YOU HAVE THAT ALBUM TOO.

*Curses*


Sign that I am getting old
It’s now several years since I have been able to say “Dude, I’m 29” to my mother-in-law.

Sign that it may not be as bad as I thought
The look on her face when she realized that someone had just called her “Dude” was one of the funniest things I have ever seen and I would do it again in a second if the opportunity arose.

6 Comments:

Blogger actonb said...

*In a very quiet voice* I have Steps Gold album.


I still listen to it occasionally.

In a non-ironic way.

I also have Tim-from-Hi5's first album. His band consisted of him, his brother and a school-friend, and they played at our youth group as a favour to MrB.

11:29 AM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Dude,

there is nothing wrong with calling your mother-in-law dude. Unless, for example, thousands of years of regal protocol forbid it.

Then, probably not.

It is only one year since I was able to do something similar.

The nicest thing anyone has said to me recently was

"You're hardly an old boiler, are you?".

I believe that passes for a compliment in there here parts.

PS don't have Debbie Gibson's 'Electric Youth'. Nor do I have Tiffany's 'I think we're alone now'. But oh how I wanted both....when I was 12.

3:57 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Actonb

There's a Steps Gold album? I have "Step ONe", which features the hits "5,6,7,8" and, um, some other songs, probably.

Since I am Welsh, I can justify owning this album as 'patriotism'.

However, since it would be more accurate to describe myself as "Welsh-Australian", I should add that, on similar grounds, I also own Euphoria's first album.


Loved the Tim from Hi-5 story.

I used to play in a band with Phil from the Paul Coleman Trio. YOu are probably the only person reading this who will have any idea what I am talking about.

Giggles

Judging by the reaction, one would have thought that thousands of years of royal protocol forbade it.

This is probably the sort of thing that Prince Frederick of Denmark has to deal with every day.

"Electric Youth" is far better than one would think.

9:09 PM  
Blogger killerrabbit said...

I see you your Debbie Gibson and Steps and raise you a Rick Astley and two Spice Girls albums.

There is nothing wrong with tragic music. I wish I still had my Bucks Fizz album.

5:16 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Killer,

It took me a while to work out whether I could compete with Rick Astley. Then I remembered that I have the first Girlfriend album.

However, I did not buy the follow up single after they became GF4, because THERE ARE LIMITS

10:08 PM  
Blogger actonb said...

But INC, there ARE no limits, no, no, no limits...

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home