Wednesday, October 25, 2006

So, how was the interview?

Thanks for asking.

You may recall that I recently applied for a job in Adelaide. I did the interview two weeks ago.

There was a lot riding on the interview. You see, at the start of this year Honey Bear and I decided that we wanted to move to Adelaide. We believed that would be the best place to raise our children. We have a large family network over there, houses within 40km of the CBD are still affordable and the schools are good too.

We started making enquiries in January but our plans went on hold soon after, because Cherub was arriving in May. Plans stayed on hold for a couple of months after he arrived, which was fine too, but since August I have been applying to every organization in Adelaide that could possibly be interested.

Months went by with polite rejection after polite rejection. Meanwhile, my job in Melbourne has been getting increasingly painful. If I didn’t know better I would think that my employer was trying to get rid of me, which would be the logical conclusion to draw from the constant criticism and regular questioning of not only my competence but my honesty, integrity and character in general.

Then, finally, a ray of hope. An organization that I had applied to, and been rejected by, back in February rang me to say they had another position available that would be more suited to me. They invited me to reapply. I did, in slightly less than 4000 words. They called a couple of days later to arrange an interview. The interview went well and everyone on the panel seemed very positive and impressed with my application. At last, I started to believe that there was a way forward, a chance to build the sort of future for my family that Honey Bear and I have dreamed of.

They called yesterday.



I didn’t get the job.




This is not good.


I heard my phone ring about an hour earlier, while I was in a meeting that could not be cut short, I knew instinctively who it was, and I was right. I really believed they would offer me the job, and I spent a very happy hour thinking that this was the day I could finally, finally, resign, and in two weeks the nightmare of this job would be over.

An hour later, it took about ten seconds for the very polite guy to tell me that unfortunately I was not the best candidate, although they were very impressed with me. But I didn’t need him to tell me, as soon as he answered the phone and I told him who was calling I knew that the news would not be good. Suddenly, the lifeline I had been hanging onto, the last hope of getting out of this job this year, was gone.

I very politely thanked my no longer future employer for the opportunity and said all the right things, all on autopilot. I rang Honey Bear, who was as ever endlessly sweet and supportive, despite how hard this was for her too. Then I went back to work and tried to carry on as if I had not just been hit in the head with a large sandbag.

What do I do at a time like this? A few things:

1. Ponder the old saying ‘when life hands you a lemon, reach for the tequila and salt’

2. Decide that a hangover is probably not going to improve the situation

3. Struggle to get some perspective. No one died, I still have a job that pays the rent and feeds the family. Other people I know are going through worst stuff than this.

4. Go home and give my gorgeous wife a big hug and cuddle my two beautiful boys, and remind myself again that I am the luckiest man in the world

5. Open up a Bible and re-read the bit that says this:
I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future

6. Hold on to the last traces of hope so hard I fear my fingers may be bruised by the effort.


I may be too depressed to blog much for a few days or so. I will get back to it, preferably in a rather more entertaining and less emo manner, soonish.


The happy new for the day is that my parents, whom I love dearly, are finally coming home from the USA, where they have lived for the past eight years. They arrive on Sunday. This is very, very good news.

10 Comments:

Blogger Snoskred said...

Ah damn, sorry to hear that mate. Don't let it get you down though - and you know, sometimes I have found it impossible to move to a new job while hanging onto a job where things aren't working - it's hard to get positive for the interview when you're not loving work right then. Yet if I quit and then go on interviews, I usually find something fast because I'm so positive after resigning. From what you have said here, it sounds like they are getting to you, which sucks.

I don't know what you've tried so far, so accept this as stuff coming from someone with no clue about you or what you do for a living however someone who worked in Adelaide for something like 14 years. :)

I don't know how easy it is to get a job in a state you don't live in - I've never done it myself. But I wonder, is there any chance of taking some holiday time from the job you're in now (maybe in January/February as that's the better time for getting hired isn't it?) and heading over there for a concerted I'm here, employ me type campaign? If you have relatives there probably you could borrow a bed for a week or two?

The other thing is - over there, they have a real huge bunch of agencies and stuff - all of whom get paid handsomely by your employer for getting you hired. If you did decide to go over for a get employed campaign you'd want to work in a personal visit to as many of them as you could. What exact role do you usually do - there might be a specific agency for that industry or type of role? Locher, Julia Ross and Hudson were some of the ones who got me great jobs. Give them a call and send them your resume if you haven't already.

Also, are you looking for work outside of the role you usually do? Maybe you'd swing right into a government contract role - I did it easily and they pay huge! Don't limit yourself to what you know - apply for everything you think is going to pay enough or looks somewhat interesting and you never know - you might not land that job but they might know someone who is looking for someone with your experience!

Some useful links for ya- you might have to copy and paste these together else blogger cuts them off.

http://www.psgazette.gov.au/
http://www.southaustralia.biz/
move/jobs_on_offer.htm
http://www.vacancies.sa.gov.au/
asp/public/Home.aspx <--- 255 cushy govt jobs ripe for the picking.

Don't rule the country out, either. Whyalla, Port Lincoln, places out in the middle of nowhere often have great jobs sitting there for ages with nobody qualified to take them.

Anyway, ignore me, I'm just annoying and I love job hunting for other people! ;) hehe it's almost like matchmaking but without weddings in the end.

Despite the slow driving, Adelaide is a good place to raise kids. They have a fantastic zoo with a great membership program that is heaps cheap, when you move there I'm gonna pester you until you join up. I was a tour guide there and I miss the place more than you could believe.

4:30 AM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

INCraig,

That is so crap.

It's hard applying for jobs in a (somewhat) new place, because you never know whether they already have some one in mind when they advertise the job.

I also second Snoskred's sentiments about the outlying areas around Adelaide...if you're prepared to live there there might be some good opportunities.

But then, I'm sure everyone has been telling you what you SHOULD do.

What you should also consider doing is having an ever so slight private wallow. Sometimes wallowing is good for the soul.

GW

8:56 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Whoa! How good are snoskred's comments? There should be some sort of Commenting Award for info that good!

I'm sorry this has been so crap, I didn't realise how much was riding on this particular job. Remember though, the pool of Adelaidian companies hasn't changed and if this company was impressed with you, you might be first in line for the next position or you might be referred to another company as a good potential. Everyone talks.

Further to the point snoskred made, if you hate your current job so much, maybe find any job in Adelaide to pay the rent and then once you're on the ground you'll find it easier. Maybe even do something you might just enjoy like being a gardener or PE teacher or rockstar photographer or something and then never add it to your resume once you're back into your actual line of business.

Do you even have to work? Isn't that what kids are for? There are many jobs your kids could do; paperweight, sustainable energy source, baby modelling/acting, DVD setterupperer, makeup artist, busking, psychic, Funniest Home Videos contestant, construction demolition consultant, heirs for hire, etc.

10:34 AM  
Blogger meva said...

O INCraig! I am so very sorry. Such a kind man deserves a kinder here-and-now.

Have lots of hugs, have that damned tequila and tell yourself it's just as well, 'cos the perfect job is just around the corner.

Good things come to he who waits. But you already have good things, don't you.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

i'm really sorry to hear this, i'm not craig. everyone else has given such great advice and support, i don't know what i can add.

reading around the blogs, it's so clear that what might be a great day for me, or someone else, might be a crap one for you, or that other person. but it gives a sort of clarity and perspective about the rollercoaster that we are each on. the ups and the downs. things never stay bad for long, so hang in there, do what you can to cheer yourself up a bit, and think to yourself that maybe THAT wasn't the job for you, and another one WILL be. funny we each heard about a job on the same day, and with the same result. and while you are upset, i am relieved.

it'll all be ok. and it's amazing the support you can get from people you don't even "know" through this thing they call blogging. amazing.

take care.

x

3:13 PM  
Blogger Watershedd said...

I read this before work this morning, but Blogger wouldn't let me comment. Probably appropriate. All I can say is I'm sorry. I know how much you both wanted that job and move. Keep believing in the greater plan, even if it's beyond your own vision at present. Big hug to you and Honey Bear (and Cherub and Bundle, cause their soooo cute!).

8:26 PM  
Blogger Snoskred said...

I like what Melbournegirl said. I read probably 20+ blogs a day and sometimes you find something so inspiring or something you were not expecting but it's always something you can use, and sometimes it is even something you need. ;)

And while I don't know you personally I'm Not Craig, I have read enough to know you're a genuinely nice guy. I hate it when employers treat people badly and I have been through it quite a few times myself.

But damn, some of those govt jobs look great, shame I don't live there anymore. And I always wanted to apply for this one - they're looking for 40 people! Whoa.

http://tinyurl.com/yx7dlm

I knew someone who was working there and the work conditions were excellent, plus the pay for call centre is really high, no weekend work, and it's never boring. If I recall correctly the location is right at the end of Rundle mall, at the top of Rundle street, fantastic location. You could go to the Botanic Gardens at lunch time.

AND my dream job is being advertised right now! Have you seen that Border Security show? Who does NOT want to work for customs after watching that? What a fantastic job.

http://tinyurl.com/ww6rv

11:15 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

INC - I'm so sorry to hear about your interview!

I left adelaide years ago but I think getting jobs = who you know still applies there (it sure does in melbourne). Anyway, you should shake down your friends/relo there like coconut trees. Threaten them with life-without-bundle if necessary.

And I really hope something comes up for you soon...

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Commiserations. I wish I could offer some sage advice but I think that has already been covered. I second Adam's comments about snoskred. Maybe you can treat the months ahead like a holiday - you will be leaving Melbourne soon enough so you, Honeybear, Cherub and Bundle can take in all the best of the city. It might help take your mind off things until someone wakes up to themselves and offers you the job of your dreams.

Take care of yourself.

7:47 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Snoskred
Thank you for that wonderful comment and the many excellent suggestions, some of which I have already tried (this was a government job and a bit of a change from what I currently do) and some of which I will look into. It meant a great deal to me that you took the time to leave such a long comment, and at 4.30am no less. Cheers

Gigglewick
I have indeed spent a couple of days wallowing just a little in private (as well as venting on this little blog), and it has helped. I can also recommend a bottle of Penfolds cab merlot and far too much chocolate to anyone experiencing something similar

Adam
You made me laugh, and really quite loudly. I needed that, thank you.

Meva
Thanks for saying such nice things about me. And when it comes to good things, I always try to remember just how lucky I am. Before Honey Bear and the boys came into my life I did not know it was possible to be this happy. Thanks for helping me to keep remembering that.

MG
Thank you, not just for a lovely comment, but for your last couple of posts on your blog, which were both wonderful. The news about your mum made me very happy and it was nice to spend a bit of time celebrating someone else’s good news instead of dwelling on my own little dramas.

Watershedd
Thanks for your ongoing support. The phone call to Honey Bear was also greatly appreciated. Cheers

Snoskred
Again, thanks. Several other commenters have noted how great your comments are. They are entirely correct.

Herbert
Good tip on the coconuts thing. And that you for being so nice

Ms Batville
Thanks for the commiserations. We went driving through the hills between Ferntree Gully and Belgrave last weekend which was a good start on the taking in the best of Melbourne front. Federation Square the weekend before was pretty good too. I do love Melbourne and I will miss it if we manage to leave.

Thanks again, everyone. You have all been most kind and I am moved and somewhat humbled by all the lovely comments. Thanks for making an otherwise armpitful week much more bearable.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home