Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Some good writing

From the book I was reading this morning:

“Llewelyn shifted so he could see his wife’s face. Her breathing was even, peaceful; he could only hope that so were her dreams. Carefully lifting the corner of the sheet, he let his eyes wander over her body, lingering upon her swollen belly. As he watched, he saw the skin ripple, like the surface of a pond, and he smiled, thinking Bran was wakeful, too, this night. The wonder of it had yet to fade, that he could actually see his son moving within Ellen’s womb.

He’d always assumed that intimacy was to be found in bed. But now he knew better. Naked bodies could entwine like ivy and oak without souls ever touching; he’d coupled with women whose names he could not even remember afterwards. There could be no greater intimacy than this, watching as his wife grew large with child, nurturing within her body a life sprung from his seed. How could men take such a marvel for granted? Why seek out miracles and yearn after holy relics when God’s greatest blessing was bestowed so close to home?

Ellen stirred in her sleep and he drew the coverlets up over her shoulders, gently extricated her long night plait from under his arm…”
- Sharon Penman, The Reckoning

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I speak on behalf of every woman who reads your blog ... swoon.

Your other half is a lucky woman i'm not craig.

(Hoping not to sound like some sort of weird internet stalker type)

And yes, it is good writing.

Cheers
Ms Batville

6:40 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Ms Batville

Thank you so much. That was a lovely comment and not at all stalkerish.

I just wish I could write like that.

Incidentally, I've notice that now Bevis is busy being a Daddy, this blog is apparently only read by women (and Adam).

Why is that, do we think?

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why your readers are predominately female. I would think it is a positive thing - it means that your writing is inclusive.

Interestingly I think you are the only man who has commented on my blog so far. Maybe this has something to do with the gender breakdown of bloggers.

9:59 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Definitely a positive thing. I'm not complaining, just mildly surprised and a little curious...

10:11 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Oh, and I forgot to add, that in this marriage, I am the lucky one.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you Ms Batville, definitely swoon! And he's all mine!!! Yay.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You two are just too sweet. I'm contemplating a little romance at the moment and trying to overcome my cynicism so you have both helped in your little way!

Thanks - and keep up the good work.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home