Friday, November 10, 2006

Yes we have no bananas

This from the Washington Post, as quoted in The Age:

Democratic pollster and analyst Mark Mellman said the mid-term results served as a reminder to Senator Clinton that she must be careful to highlight her opposition to the war in Iraq in order to avoid alienating a sizeable number of Democrats. “She’s the 800pound gorilla in this race, and the Iraq issue could cost her 100 pounds, maybe,” he said. But he added, “Seven hundred pounds is still a pretty big gorilla.”

That might be the best political quote in American history, with the possible exception of Ronald Reagan’s hilarious announcement regarding having just outlawed the Soviet Union, the imminent commencement of bombing and other such entertaining matters.

I don’t know if I have ever come across the use of gorilla pounds as a measure of something or other to do with politics, but it’s times like this that make me just wish I was a political journalist so I could ask “And how many gorilla pounds would you sat John McCain is packing?” because in this context THAT WOULD NOT BE A STUPID QUESTION.

Mr Mellman does have a point on the issue of gorilla size. The average female gorilla weighs around 100 kg. On Mr Mellman’s estimate, Ms Clinton is tipping the scales at, even allowing for the Iraq war issue, 318kg.

Mr Mellman is described as a Democratic pollster. This raises the question of whether it is possible for a pollster to be anything other than democratic. Are there autocratic pollsters who just ring up and tell people what to say?

Ms Clinton could never be elected in this country. If the average gorilla eats 6 bananas per day, Ms Clinton would, on Mellman’s estimate, consume 19 bananas per day, which is 6935 bananas per year, at an average cost to the tax payer of $19814 per annum.

And while we’re on the subject, why do people say that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys? Clearly, you would get elephants. If you want monkeys, you pay bananas, which make me wonder how on earth Triple J can afford to fund their breakfast show just now.

It has been a really, really long week.

7 Comments:

Blogger Snoskred said...

Yes but today is FRIDAY! :) yay! wishing you and honey bear and small bear and also your extended family a happy weekend.

2:58 AM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Hi INCraig,

Hope you and the fam are well, echo Snoskred's comments above.

And also: still think $19,000 is a small price to pay for the kind of wunderkind Hillary would be to the White House (suspect George spends that much on his Sudoku tutor, and what a waste of money that turned out to be).

8:44 AM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Snoskred,
We had a wonderful weekend, thank you.

Gigglewick
Thanks also.

You're right, $19000 is actually not that much. I was guessing on the average number of bananas a gorilla eats each day, but the rest of it is actually correct.

In hindsight, I should have ditched the calculations and just made up a really big number.

More importantly, the sudoku tutor thing made me laugh for hours.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Snoskred said...

Great! So did I ;) but actually every day is a weekend when you're me.. ;) You see what you just did - you replied to everyone who left a comment. I left a comment on a blog the other day, and there were several others who commented after me, and the blog owner did what you did but left me out entirely. I think this is pretty bad form and I might just cross them off my list of blogs to read, but perhaps I am taking it personally. It's hard not to when you're the ONLY person left out.. ;) But it's not anyone we know, thankfully. That would have been really sucky.

8:20 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Snoskred
And I'm responding to this one too. Always good to see you.

9:45 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Snoskred,

You just gave me a fright: sorry if I have ever not responded to your comments.

Sometimes I get a bit "stream of consciousness", as MelbourneGirl observed on this blog recently.

Apologies for any recent slight, apologies for any future one.

GW

6:19 AM  
Blogger meva said...

19 grand of bananas is peanuts!

What about the cost for JWH and his beige consort to live in Sydney?

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home