Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Cuteness update

It is a little bit hard to believe that my younger son Cherub is already seven months old. This happened very fast. Not only has he been crawling for a few weeks, his favourite thing to do at the moment is to crawl to the couch, the bathtub, a wall, or anything halfway convenient and pull himself up to a standing position. And then perhaps take a few steps, usually while still holding on to the couch, although he likes to keep his parents alert by occasionally letting go of all supports and standing there grinning.

Cherub's other favourite things include splashing his brother in the bath (We hear the phrase "Enough splashing now" from an indignant two year old at least once per night), smiling and giggling at whatever ridiculous noises his parents make to amuse him, blowing raspberries and of course fuzzing (which involves rubbing the hair on his head against his brother's hair and is possibly the cutest thing ever).

Although we occasionally forget this when we spend three hours in the evening trying to get him to sleep and when he finally goes to sleep he wakes us up at 2.00am anyway, this child does embody absolute gorgeousness.


Bundle, now aged two and a bit, also does his bit to keep us entertained (and to keep us guessing).

I suspect that this child is reasonably bright. I notice it at such times as when I am reading him a Noddy story and it goes something like this:

INC: And then Noddy got in his car and went out to look for passengers

Bundle: Noddy runs a taxi, daddy


This child is also very persistent in his beliefs. I own a T-shirt witha picture of a wombat drawn on it. I bought it for $2 at the Salvation Army Store on Smith Street. I was there with a young lady who was quite resistant to the idea of dating me and I thought she might find it cute and endearing. Her reaction when I suggested buying it was so overwhelmingly negative that I bought it anyway just to annoy her. You can probably see why that relationship never got off the ground.

Anyway, about three months ago, I was wearing this shirt and Bundle looked at the picture and said "Puppy!" Being a little bit pedantic at times, I told him it was in fact a wombat. He disagreed, which was really fair enough since it could be any number of animals (a sleeping koala would be a reasonable guess too) and I only know its a wombat because it has the word "wombat" written on it. Bundle insisted it was a puppy and we changed the subject, since as far as I knew he didn't know what a wombat was anyway.

A couple of weeks ago, I was wearing the T-shirt again. I hadn;t worn it in the intervening two and a half months. Bundle got up that morning and after delivering the usual "State of the household" report ("Bundle have long sleep", "Cherub not awake", and "Time for apple break'ast daddy") we proceeded to the kitchen, where the following dialogue takes place:

Bundle [noticing INC's shirt and pointing] Puppy!

INC [deciding not to start the day with a fight particularly when that picture could be anything and this child surely won't remember our last conversation] Yes lad, that's a puppy

Bundle [in the unmistakable tone of one who has finally settled a long running and vexatious dispute] Not wombat any more.

*Bundle wanders off to set up his train track looking very satisfied with his day's work so far, INC Laughs helplessly*


There is no risk of ever getting bored with these two children in the house.

9 Comments:

Blogger Harpo said...

Oh that is magic. I love this stuff, INC.

Why isn't there more fuzzing in the world?

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

6.28am? Dude, either another sleepless night, or an obsessive desire to get up as early as possible in order to get to work nice and early...

12:04 PM  
Blogger meva said...

*sigh*

I, too, love kid stories. Yours sounds like a very happy house.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

What if they become accountants at ages 4 and 2?

3:24 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Harpo

Yes the world needs more fuzzing.

I have just tried to comment on yoru blog about five times and it's all like "no" so let me take this opportunity to say yes to anchovies (so long as its capriccioso) and that thing about bikes made me wish I owned one and everyone go read Harpo's blog right now.

Hi there Anon
I think I know who you are (did we recently eat lots of cheese at your place?) and if so then you know the answer to that question

Meva
When I take a break from being a self obsessed stress-head and just appreciate how lucky I am, home is a good and happy place.

Adam
You have freaked me out. I suppose if that happens I will change their names to Doogie and when they grow up they will star in a sitcom with Willow from "Buffy" and that will be a good happy ending for everyone

10:35 PM  
Blogger Harpo said...

Firstly, capricciosi without omitting anchovies are the only real pizza. Everything else is merely pizza substitute. I feel so validated!

Secondly, stupid blogger beta. OK so, it's prettier but if people can't comment on it then it's rubbish. I apologise for making the switch — I'm an early-adopting personality: if there's a button saying “try this new thing out” I press it — I had noticed that you hadn't been commenting and had assumed that the more self-indulgent bits of my whining had driven you away but it turns out that stupid blogger beta won't let original blogger accounts comment. I guess you have to use the 'Other' tag when you get to 'choose an identity' (how good is it to be able to 'choose an identity' !) until the blogger programmers fix their lazy code.

Thirdly, Change their names to Doogie? Star in a sitcom with Willow? Haha. This is gold!

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam: DUDE! That's a nasty thing to threaten a parent with - at any age (either theirs or mine!) Accountants indeed! And we were getting along so well...

9:02 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

INCraig,

Surely this is why we have kids - so that we can get ticked off by them about our inability to see things their way (I'm sure that is my function to Grizzlewick).

GW

5:02 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Uh oh, Hell hath no wrath like a Mumma Bear...

Good thing I recently picked up Home(page) and Comments insurance.

Young lady, I do apologise to both you and your most excellent dude, you see, I have a fairly persistant medical problem called Irrelevent Argumentation Megathought Bigidea Syndrome(I.AM.BS). The main problem is that when someone makes an absolute statement (ie, I will never be bored with these boys, I am never working there again, Bus drivers are nice, etc) my brain will immediately think of instances where that may not be the case.

It wasn't at all threat, more a polite question to see if you had any contingency plans - which clearly INC does.

Um, phew?

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home