Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A slightly early Christmas post

Today's happy discovery was a section of the Diamond Valley Leader dedicated to letters from children to Santa about what Christmas means to them, and, of course, what they would like him to bring. Here's just a few of my favourites and what we can learn from them.


There are some children who embrace consumerism.

Dear Santa, My name is Nathan and I am five years old. I have been a very good bot during the year and now have a baby brother Lachlan. For Christmas I would like Power Rangers gloves, Transformer Cyberton, Star Wars Light sabre, Batman computer. We will leave a snack out for you on Christmas Eve in case you get hungry. Nathan and Lachlan, St Helena

And then there are other who are more focused on spiritual matters.

Dear Santa, I like Christmas because it is a religious time. The nativity is important because there would be no Christmas without it. I also like going to see other people's Christmas lights and decorations. One of the best times is being with my family. Lachlan, 8, Montmorency

I am all for children embracing the true meaning of Christmas, but that bit about the nativity in particular does make one suspect a bit of parental influence.

Of course, parents may have any number of agendas, not necessarily specifically religious ones.

Christmas means happiness to the world. I spend Christmas at night time we sit around in a circle and sing Christmas carols. I will play dinosaurs with my cousins. Christmas Eve I like to leave food out for you. I don't think we should give you alcohol because you might miss peoples houses and you might crash into houses. I think I will leave out carrots and grass for your reindeers and choc-chip biscuits and milk for you. Lachlan, 7, Briar Hill

I still can't work out whether the parents of this child are card carrying members of the Temperance Union or whether they just decided to make something up so they would not have to waste good alcohol by leaving it out for Santa.

In other cases, it is the child who has an agenda.

I like Christmas because you get lots of presents and you might see Santa if your lucky. For Christmas I want a Simpsons DVD a pet rabbit but my mum won't let me because I have a cat and two kittens and other stuff I can't think of. Glendy Boy, 8, Bundoora

And finally, one that I have to include simply because it made me smile.

Dear Santa, I like Christmas because it is so fun. I like the Christmas lights at the houses. I would like Ice Age 2 please. Could you give Ebony (my cow) a bell please. Will, 5, Plenty

Diamond Valley is clearly a happy place with a richly diverse community, united by a shared appreciation of Christmas in all its glorious aspects.

This does not explain why exactly 50% of them are named Lachlan.

5 Comments:

Blogger sharpatootha said...

oh goodness INC, stop with the cuteness posts*, my face is hurting from all the inane grinning i'm doing when reading your posts




*and by 'stop', i actually mean - 'your posts are very cute and i like them thankyou'

10:11 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

'Lachlan' is the new 'Jaaiymee'.

5:12 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Sharpatootha
There is so much cuteness around lately, there's a fair chance that these posts will keep coming.

Adam
An improvement, surely.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Ariel said...

I'm afraid to say that my son's letter would read like number one.

The others are very cute indeed.

It's Friday night. I have nothing more original to say than that.

7:53 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Hi Ariel

Welcome along to my little blog. Thanks for the comment, partly because it's always noce to discover that I have more readers than I thought, and partly because I have now checked out your very fine blog and enjoyed it greatly.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home