Friday, June 08, 2007

Enough about me, let’s talk about you what do you think of me

Much as I love the blogging, there are days when knowing almost no-one who comments here in real life seems a bit limiting. Frankly, there’s so much more I want to know about absolutely every one of you.

In addition to questions like “If you read this and you’ve never commented, who are you?” or “Now that I have promised to stop going on about a particular teapot-obsessed atheist, what should I write about next?”, or even “If on the off chance one of you is actually Paul Keating, what chemical imbalance in your brain made you think this was a good time to start criticizing the deputy leader of your own party?”, the questions that I find myself coming back to most seem to revolve around the names people choose to go by whilst blogging.

I’m sure there was a better way to structure that sentence, but let’s move on.

I find myself asking questions like:

Does Melbourne Girl really have a brother called Melbourne Guy? Does that ever get confusing, initial-wise?

I eventually figured out where the name Actonb comes from, but why Acton specifically?

At what age did Grizzlewick Gigglewick Fix acquire his online name? And what is he going to say about it when he learns to read/google?

It’s not too hard to work out where the name “Aussie Rock Chick” came from, but which band is she in DON’T ANSWER THAT ONE IT’S A SECRET?

Does Harpo really look like his profile photo, or did he pick up that name because he doesn’t talk much and his brother has an unconvincingly over-the-top Italian accent?

Why would someone who seems to quite like people call herself Mizanthrop?

Do those who use their real names when blogging find that that’s working out well for them? If Adam or Kate (nee Herbert) still read this, I might get an answer.

And I could keep going for a really long time, but you get the idea.

For those who wonder why I apparently feel compelled to tell the world that whoever I may actually be, Craig I am clearly not, there is an explanation, of sorts, right about here. So, dear readers, why did you choose the identities by which the rest of us now know you? I really want to know. So, please let me know where on your own blog you have already answered that question, or put it in a new post and then tell me that you did, or leave your answers in the comments section, or email me, or whatever. Thank you for indulging my curiosity, and do have yourselves a fabulous weekend.

13 Comments:

Blogger Snoskred said...

snøskred = avalanche

From the Norwegian - American Dictionary

So many people ask me, why did I choose it? Well, I was once known on the internet as Egyptkah. I wanted a letter at the opposite end of the alphabet, and I wanted something Norwegian, with a nice meaning. However there's other words I could have gone with.. I mostly just wanted a special letter, and a nice meaning. I like it, it's very cool.. haha get it, cool, snow, avalanche, ;)

And if you can find a Norwegian man to say it to you, ladies, watch out. It's pronounced very beautifully. :)

Snoskred
http://snoskred.blogspot.com/

1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm named after a band I used to be in, Grover Jones And The Art Of Siegecraft. I don't think there's a good story behind the name of the band. There are 4 other members of this band who now have one less pseudonym to choose from, but they don't seem to be as internerdy as I am.
There's the whole debauched story here and a taste of some tunes here

7:40 AM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

I'm sure I'll be paying for a lot of therapy.

Grizzlewick got his online name shortly after I got mine. One of his real life nicknames bears a slight resemblance to Grizzlewick, so it wasn't that hard a jump.

I'm pretty sure he'll be mightily pissed off when he sees how I have used the internet to poke fun at him.

But it's oh-so-much better than just putting make up on him when he's asleep, taking a picture and sending it to New Idea. Although slightly less lucrative (or so I've heard).

7:43 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

my answer is very boring. i couldn't think of a name and then just sort of thought of melbournegirl. i worried about it sounding arrogant, as if i might think i'm all-knowing about melbourne, or a representative or something. but it just seemed to fit in a way, i love melbourne, no i LOVE melbourne. and while i'm no girl, i thought it might just be the kind of little white lie that might allow me to infiltrate the coolsie groups.

people pretty quickly started calling me mg or melbs or melba - all names which i actually prefer. i love the way diminutives and abbreviations exist online in much the same way as real life.

i also love the way you titled this post with the best quote from beaches.

ps also i think it's magistrates court, it's june 20 (fri?). and i'm not really looking forward to it. oh well.

10:13 AM  
Blogger actonb said...

Yeah, it's a sad Bronte obsession. And it's quite a simple explanation - currer was taken, and I prefer Anne to Emily.
But I kinda like it now, even if it is insufferably wankful, and I get irrationally peed off when people refer to my Real Name in comments.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Harpo said...

When I was in my early twenties I joined with some friends in an indoor cricket team called the Undersea Elf Patrol (the core members of the team went on to start a proper cricket club which I've mentioned a few times on my blog). The elves had a mighty fine time. When we took a wicket, instead of cheering or clapping we'd all wave our hands in the air and go ‘weeeeee!’

We had T-shirts with “I'm an elf. Wouldn't you like to be one too?” on the front and nicknames on the back. We'd discussed Marx Brothers movies the week before we organised the T-shirts (general consensus: Duck Soup is the favourite) and at the time I had let my hair go long and curly and as I would get a bit shy in crowds, my new nickname for the purposes of the T-shirt was Harpo.

It has stuck and now I'm known at work, at the cricket club and in your comments as Harpo. Hurrah.

Plus you should hear my brother say “You can't a fool a me, there ain't no sanity clause.” Laughs aplenty.

1:11 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Snoskred
I actually knew what Snoskred meant (because I read it on your blog) but now I'm fascinated by "Egyptkah".

And what is with people from Adelaide and things Egyptian (see, um, Ms Cynic's profile photo and, er, probably some other examples)

Groverjones

I knew that one too, except for the Art of Siegecraft part, and now I want to know more about that.

Worms, worms everywhere except in the can.

Giggles
It is entirely possible that you have given that plan a bit of thought. Possibly quite a lot.

Hmmmmm

Melbs
It's intriguing that you set out to infiltrate the coolsie group and you have somehow ended up here. It think this proves "chaos theory" once and for all.

I had no idea that the title was a quote from 'Beaches', which is not surprising since I last watched that film in 1991.

I'm pretty sure they don't have juries in the Magistrates' Court, so it might be worth double checking that. Also, I think 20 June may be a Wednesday. I hope it goes well whenever and wherever it is.

Sadly I don't think I'm current booked to be in any Court that day. If things change I'll email you or some such.

Actonb
People are referring to your real name in comments? Cool!

*reads Actonb's entire archive with a notebook and pencil close to hand*

Harpo
I seem to recall that your current cricket club is known as "The Harpo Massive". I am mightily impressed with the idea of naming an entire cricket club after oneself and in the unlikely event that I ever join such a team again it will be henceforth and thereafter known as "None of Us Are Craig"

I want to hear more about these elves. Failing which I will entertain myself for several weeks just picturing it.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Cinema Minima said...

I'm not actually at the Pub, at least not all the time. Not until they get wireless broadband.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Watershedd said...

You already know the answer for me. If you don't Honey Bear will play you the song - one of my all time, makes me think, says it all songs.

For the rest of you find the album 'Nomad, Indians Saints' by the Indigo Girls. Track 7, 'Watershed'.

4:12 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

TMATP

That doesn't explain why you call yourself that. Confused now

Watershedd
You're right, I did know that. But thanks for sharing with the rest of the group. Cheers!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

you are right, it's a friday. and i think i assumed it was mag court - delusions of grandeur, moi, mais non.

5:46 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Dude,

Isn't Craig any good at cricket?

8:45 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

MG
Curses, I have no Friday cases this month

*goes and chases an ambulance*

Giggles
I did actually briefly play on the same cricket team as Craig in 1990. He didn't know anything about cricket so he adopted a policy of just hitting the ball really really hard, which meant that he usually ended up with a higher score than me.

It was vexing at the time but I'm over it now

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home