Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I still don’t know how to pronounce ‘meme’

Thanks to Giggles for the tag to do this little meme involving a list of six weird things about myself. Only six, I ask rhetorically? Yes, only six. The hard part here was narrowing it down from the short list of, like, a billion. Here’s what I ended up with.

1. I order food based solely on curiosity

It doesn’t matter how much I may want a nice, safe laksa or that peanutty chicken with coconut rice thing that the China Bar do so well, if I notice shredded fish or duck pie on the menu that is what I am going to order. I just want to know. I’m not sure that I end up with better food, but I will never die wondering. And this is why I know what durian ice-cream and pork floss buns taste like.

When I asked Honey Bear to list weird things about me, this is the first one she came up with too.

2. I know a little too much about truly trashy music

I realised this when I figured out that one of the cast members of that ‘Primeaval’ show was a former member of S Club 7, not because I recognised her, but because I recognised her name in the credits. Yes, that’s right, I knew and instantly recognized THE SURNAME OF A MEMBER OF S CLUB 7. Uh-oh.

3. I’m occasionally surprised by my own enthusiasm

A couple of days ago I was thinking about the “Chinese Beef”* I was going to cook that night when I remembered that we now have a wonderfully large Scanpan (thanks again, Watershedd) with a wide, flat base that is absolutely perfect for pan-frying the beef and even I was surprised at just how excited I suddenly felt about the prospect of cooking dinner.

4. I actually want to know why Lacey Chabert was in Mean Girls

After watching this movie (why?) and realizing that Lacey was in it, I started to wonder if she initially auditioned for Lindsay Lohan’s character who grew up being home schooled in Africa, on the basis that Lacey previous did the voice for Eliza in “The Wild Thornberrys”, the key point being that Eliza grew up being home schooled in Africa.

My theory is that having lost out to Lindsay for the lead role, Lacey was offered the lesser but still major part of Gretchen. The weird part is that it is going to bug me endlessly that I am never going to know whether I am right about that

5. I like spending five cent pieces

Five cent pieces are stupid. When I get one I want to throw it away immediately. I don’t carry them around because to carry enough of them to actually buy anything requires a wheelbarrow of some sort. The flip side to this is when I actually gather enough of them in one place to buy, say, a donut, it’s the equivalent of getting it for free.

6. I sound like Ray Romano when I have a cold
At least, I hope that’s why my hairdresser**** told me that I sound like that guy from Everybody Loves Raymond. I have some serious thinking to do if that is not the reason.

For the record, he also told me that my hair is ‘stubborn’ and ‘surprising’. I have no idea what to make of all this.


And so to the tagging part we all love so well. Are there six people reading this who have not been tagged already? I’m going to go with, Adam, Aussie Rock Chick (perhaps you two could each tell us six weird things about the other?), Harpo, Sharpatootha, Leilani and Mizanthrop.

If you want to.




*It’s not really Chinese. It will however be useful if I am ever in Beijing and I need to know how the locals say “Dude wtf?”**

** Yes, I put it in quotation marks and added a footnote. It’s that un-Chinese. Seriously, the marinade has dry sherry in it.***

*** Besides, I am doing this meme at Gigglewick’s request, and it just seems appropriate to host a festival of the footnote

**** and by ‘my hairdresser’ I mean whichever dude happened to be free when I walked into to the local ‘no appointment necessary and we’re inexpensive’ hair cutting establishment, not someone I actually know or regularly deal with or anything. Does anyone know anywhere I can get a decent haircut for under $20 is the actual question here.

12 Comments:

Blogger gigglewick said...

Nice work.

Duck pie is nice. Pork floss buns not really my thing. If you're after a curiosity based meal, I recommend Ants Bistro (also Chinese) in Chinatown.

And you can get a haircut AND a beer for $24 at Dr Follicles, which I think is in Gertrude Street (Fitzroy). I'm not sure if you have to be prepared to have some kind of Fireballs-inspired do though.

9:49 PM  
Blogger actonb said...

Which character in Primeval?

I saw a couple of episodes of that, and then, as per usual, managed to keep forgetting to watch it. Mainly because a) it was on WIN and b) a weird-arse time.

Also - substitute the sherry for Chinese Cooking Wine (Xioxing or whatever it is) and you've gone all authentic!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Leilani said...

Are you talking to me?

9:52 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Giggles
I will check out Ants next time I am in the Chinatown region. I doubt that I will make it all the way to Fitzroy just for a haircut, particularly as I can get a haircut and several beers for $24 by going toi my local dodgy haircut place followed by my local dodgy pub.

Actonb

The character's name was Abby Maitland. I only know that because I just went to the internet movie database and looked it up. I never really got into that show either.

I do have some chinese cooking wine in the cupboard and I had seriously considered substituting it for the sherry, but this beef is so ridiculously good that I don't want to mess with it, not even for the sake of authenticity.

Unless we run out of sherry.

And we have.

Leilani

Yes, frankly.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

i say me-me, as in me-myself-i. other people say meme as in dream.

i tried to make yu-yus a start up concern, like you would do a yuyu on someone else, it would be like a big flattering tribute. i think i did one once, or threatened to. i was going to do a whole series. but then, alas, by the wayside of blog-life, like so many other ideas.

have a good weekend, yes?

4:01 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Cinema Minima said...

I'd say "mem" with a silent e.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Melba said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

sorry for perpetuating what looks like a comment invasion and then retraction. the above three deleteds are me.

just trying not to be silly.

peace and light to all.

5:21 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Melbs

I like the idea of yuyus. I seem to recall that Bevis was doing them for a while there but it's been a few months since the last one. Should we revive this concept and who should I write about first?

Also, I always speculate endlessly about what was in deleted comments. Email me?

Mr Pub

I've been saying me-me, but according to Harpo (and Richard Dawkins, sorry but its relevant) it's apparently only one syllable.

For full details, pop over to flyingharpo.blogspot etc

7:08 AM  
Blogger Melba said...

i did email you, it was just about what happened on monday to the lawyer and i started freaking out thinking it was you, and so on and so forth. the thing that tipped me over the edge was the best friend "craig" being quoted in the papers. and then i deleted them thinking it's not good if it was you. and also not good to leave them if it wasn't, because then i look like an absolute dick.

which i guess i am.

capiche?

and you didn't reply so i got more and more freaked. until now, thursday morning, i've been checking like some bizarro blog-wife (apols to hb). er.

but clearly you are ok, so i am very relieved.

that's all.

and re yuyus, yes bevis did start doing some, did a few but it was more than months ago, it was ages more, and he called them shout-outs. i don't know, run with it if you want... i was just trying to invent a new word.

happy days.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home