Tuesday, July 24, 2007

This one will be followed by a discussion entitled "Should I have posted it? No"

Just because I can, here’s a poem that I wrote eight years ago for a friend who I did not actually ever date. It went like this:


I love you and I wish that you were my wife
You don’t know, you don’t care, and I hate my life
I know that it’s true, but what can I do
Just like a wrong number, I’m hung up on you

Sometimes I feel I’m on the verge of hysterics
I’m beginning to understand Bon Jovi lyrics
The touch of your hand, the smell of your hair
Makes me want to sing “Wo-oh we’re halfway there”

I think of you so much it’s getting pathetic
I’ll lose my job leave home and become peripatetic
And as I sleep under a bridge with a smack addict named Stu
I’ll still be writing bad poetry about how much I love you


Which is worse: that I wrote this in the first place, that I’m posting it now, or that eight years after writing it I didn’t have to look it up in order to post it because I still remember it word for word?

The stuff I wrote when I met Honey Bear was way better than this.

5 Comments:

Blogger Harpo said...

‘Pathetic’ rhymes with ‘peripatetic’. It's genius!

7:39 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Although Harpo is indeed correct, you did use the phrase

"I'm beginning to understand Bon Jovi lyrics"

8:30 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

thanks for sharing your poetry. my the best of my bad poetry* was a piece called Viking Man, which referred to an unrequited love object, which will eventually feature in my blog, amidst the 80s posts. i think it's a fair way off though, we are only up to 1981 and he entered stage right about 1988.



* would this be the worst then? or the best?

11:28 AM  
Blogger meva said...

Did you give her the poem? Because if you did, my my, how could she resist ya?

10:10 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Harpo
You are possible the nicest guy in the world for saying that

Giggles
I really was starting to understand Bon Jovi lyrics, although this was before they wrote "My heart is like an open highway/ Like Frankie said I did it my way/ I just want to live while I'm alive"


MG
I must read Viking Man, even if it means waiting for seven long years until we get to 1988. Can we skip ahead just this once/ email it to me?

Meva
I did not give her the poem, partly because I was pretty sure she would laugh, and partly because she was dating the guy who is now her husband and the father of her two children, and despite the recent rumours over at RYWHM I am not actually some mad dude of homewrecking.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home