Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Wake me up before you yuyu

A few weeks ago, or whenever I last did a meme, the concept of a yuyu got mentioned in passing in one of the comments. As far as I understand it, a yuyu is the opposite of a meme, in that the blogger who writes the yuyu writes about someone else for a change.

Unfortunately, this concept is yet to take off the way it deserves to. As far as I know, the only people to have ever tried this are Bevis and of course the inventor of the yuyu herself, MelbourneGirl.

So, since I find other people way more interesting than I find myself (this is generally because they actually are way more interesting that me), and because spreading a bit of extra positivity around the interweb can’t be a bad thing, I thought I’d try writing a few of these yuyu things myself. I’m hoping that this concept will take off and everyone will start doing it and MG will be rich and so forth.

Well, enough of the awkward explanation of the backstory in the manner of Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Philosopher's Stone. Let's get straight to the Quidditch yuyu.

It is no secret that I am a massive fan of Gigglewick’s work, so where better to start the yuyuing that with a visit to this excellent blog.

It is perhaps slightly unusual that I was a massive fan of Giggle’s work even when her entire blog consisted of one post, the entire text of which can be found here. Frankly, the post itself was not that exciting, but Giggles had left some truly exceptional comments at another famous blog. One comment in particular amused me to the point where I started a petition to try to get Gigglewick to post on her own blog. That comment was in response to question from another reader about the naming of babies, and it said this:

One of the few good things about the Federal Government is that they give you a bit of a grace period after the child is born before you have to register their name...that way you can see whether it's more an 'Audio Science'* than a 'Jack' (or more a 'Arloretsinaweewaks' (pronounced "Kelly") than a 'Mia').

* real celebrity child name

** not a real celebrity child name.....YET



I can’t help but notice that, in a sign of things to come, even this very early example of GW’s work is heavily footnoted and includes a random swipe at teh Federal Government.

Anyway, I used the comments section of Do I Have To to create an online petition, Harpo and Thomasr signed it, Gigglewick started blogging and the rest is very entertaining history.

My suspicion that Giggles was freakin’ hilarious was confirmed in her second post, where, in response to a request to list three things she hated, Giggles included the following item:

- Aggression/Aniseed

(still can't decide which one I hate more. If a sociopath aggressively tried to feed me aniseed while I was mulling something over it would be my worst nightmare)


The comedy has continued to this day. Giggles’ posts still frequently make me laugh for days on end.

Giggles was also instrumental in the creation of We Do Talk About Our Kids. The adventures of a particularly entertaining four year old known only as Grizzlewick are endless fascinating as well as a little frightening for anyone who has children who are soon to reach that age. I don’t actually much care if no-one reads that blog. I get to gain endless amounts of credibility just by contributing to a blog which has Gigglewick’s name on it (and having Actonb, Meva, MG and Mizanthrop on there also bolsters my status no end)

Giggles is more than just a very funny young lady with a blog. She also has the ability to inspire readers and write wonderfully thought provoking posts on social justice, politics and, occasionally, spirituality.


Gigglewick, I am endlessly impressed with your writing, I am very happy that I get to read your blog and I am honoured that you read mine and leave many exceptionally entertaining comments. Please continue to place your excellent writings on the web for many years to come.

11 Comments:

Blogger gigglewick said...

aw, thanks INCraig.

You are very kind.

And now I am blushing all over the internet.

GW

10:35 PM  
Blogger actonb said...

I agree with everything you said.

Whole-heartedly.

She's pretty rad, hey?

9:22 AM  
Blogger Harpo said...

Well done INC. If yuyus are usually as enchanting as this then they will surely blossom throughout the world, much like Harry Potter-inspired witchcraft.

And well done to you too, Gigglewick. Let me add my voice — as I've done before — to INC's plea.

10:00 AM  
Blogger meva said...

I heartily agree with all that's been said about the delight of reading GW's blog. Well done, indeed, INC!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

yay yay for the first yuyu from inc.

well done, and i think it t'astic and t'riff.

7:25 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Giggles

You're most welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Actonb, Harpo, Meva & MG
Thanks for joining in. Nomiunations for who else should go on my yuyu list can be left in the comments of this, or any other, post.

7:05 AM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

At the risk of jeopardising our "relationship" INCraig, can I suggest Harpo as a next cab off the rank?

6:58 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Giggles

Harpo is already 'on the list'. I'm not sure if he'll be next, but he'll be somewhere in the first four or five.

Also, I see you too have been reading the highly amusing speculation on RYWHM. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

8:22 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

hee hee.

Only if it gets us all invited to this so-called Sharp reunion...

8:42 PM  
Blogger Harpo said...

Oooo eee! How exciting!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Harpo said...

I was, of course, referring to all this polygamy.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home