Sunday, February 10, 2008

The most important part of acting is re-acting. This does not mean acting again

There is a long and involved explanation as to how I got to that title but since it makes no sense and even if I successfully explained it, it still wouldn't be funny, I'm going to move on to the results of the least popular internet quiz the world has ever seen.


First of all, thank you to Mizanthrop, Actonb, Leilani and Meva for actually sending in entries, thereby saving this from being a complete debacle, even if it was still quite a big one. Thanks also to MelbourneGirl and Gigglewick for giving it a red hot go, and to Adam who was involved in some manner or other.


I have considered feeling despondent about how bad an idea this was. I probably should have realised that, as actonb correctly pointed out, bloggers are by their very nature anonymous personas. Or, as I would put it, we're all so used to being mysterious that this competition was always going to be impossible.


Still, we learned a few things.


The award for most surprising fact must go to Gigglewick for her under 17 kayaking exploits, although there were strong challenges from actonb with her love for skodas and Leilani's three metre high bamboo teepee, which should be a great timesaver for her legion of internet stalkers everywhere.



Meva wins cutest fact for the student union one and her cat runs a close second for "most gross" with the 4am weeing incident.

Adam wins most recognisable blogger since he was the only person to have all three of his facts correctly guessed by the same person (well done, Meva).

I was intrigued about which ones people would think were mine. Two out of four people thought I had won an egg throwing competition. That was, in fact, MelbourneGirl. A different two out of four people thought I used to be able to do a 360 on a skateboard. Again, that was actually MG, so let me take this opportunity to point out that we are not in fact the same person.

And yet another two out of four people thought I had no opinion on Nicole Kidman's pregnancy. Actually, I think it's nice for the Urban and Kidman families and everyone else should find something else to talk about. Sure, it's not a very interesting opinion, but it will have to do.

I wasn't surprised that people were unaware of my (mixed) netball playing past with the lovely and talented Ms Redpath, and I am eternally grateful to actonb who, despite knowing what I look like, still didn't guess that my brother thinks I have a big nose.



Congratulations to Leilani and Meva who were the only two people to guess any of the ones about me. They both figured out that my favourite cafe in the world is in Chattanooga. This is either excellent research (I did blog about going to Tennessee once) or a heck of a guess. For the record, the place is called Rembrants and the baked cheescake is so wrong it's right.


And finally we come to the one that seemed to capture everyone's imagination. Unsurprisingly, it was number 6, being the 'icecubes' one. Gigglewick, Meva and Mizanthrop may be interested to know that they each got one vote on this one. Leilani was the only person to get this right, but no extra points for guessing there, for she was the one who did it. On the bright side, Leilani now gets to be MelbourneGirl's instant hero, and does it get any better than that no it does not.


For those who want to know the correct answers in full, here they are:

1. I have never owned a car. Adam
2. I grew up in a Angelina Jolie style 'rainbow family'; both my sibs were adopted from different countries, in fact I'm the only member of my immediate family, (aside from my child/ren) to be born an Australian citizen. Miz
3. When I started uni at 17, I wouldn't go to the Student Union for the first week because I thought I would have to show some kind of card to prove I was a Unionist. (And, no. Tony Abbott isn't my uncle.) Meva
4. Once I drove to Sydney with 2 girlfriends in a VW beetle. We stopped in Albury for the night and went to a pub and met about 8 guys and we all then squeezed into the beetle to go to the local disco. I kissed one of the boys later. MG
5. I have not eaten McDonalds since 1991. Giggles
6. To get back at one of my brothers I once froze my own wee into ice cubes and served it to him in a glass of lemon cordial. (I was nine years old) Leilani
7. I went to primary school next door to Pentridge Prison. Through clumsy ball play and schoolyard bullies I lost a football, basketball and 4 tennis balls over the bluestone wall and in the 6 years I was there we had our lunchtime cut short twice while police scoured the area for escapees. Adam
8. I used to be able to do a 360 on a skateboard. MG
9. I once told my Christian best friend that Greek Mythology makes more sense than christianity. actonb
10. I was the under-17s doubles-kayaking champion in my state. Giggles

11. My elderly cat pissed on me while I was sound asleep in bed at 4am last week. Meva
12. Once I won an egg-throwing competition. MG
13. Paul McDermott once sat on my lap. I think this caused permanentdamage to my sense of smell. Miz

14. My brother used to sledge me by singing "You’ve got a big nose" to the tune of 1927’s "You’ll never know". INC

15. I never finished high school. Miz

16. I got a massive and extremely well done line stroke painting of a samuraislasher for Christmas. Adam

17. My favourite café in the world is in Chattanooga. This is irritating. INC

18. I didn't get my first car until I was 26. It was a 1968 Merc with a fold back sunroof, I thought it was so cool, until it died. Leilani

19. I have no opinion whatsoever on Nicole Kidman's pregnancy. Giggles

20. I have a three metre high bamboo teepee in my front garden. Leilani
21. I have played netball with the daughter of Australian cricketing legend Ian Redpath. INC
22. My favourite car ever is a Skoda. actonb
23. Both of my parents seriously considered joining the Communist Party when they were in their early 20's. Meva
24. I still harbour a grudge against my mother for not letting me learn morris dancing while at Infants School. actonb


And so we come, at last, to the results. Mizanthrop lead early through the clever strategy of being the only person to enter. She was eventually knocked out of first by place by Actonb. Leilani tied with Actonb for first and we remained deadlocked for a week while I hoped someone else would enter so we wouldn't have to do some sort of fire making challenge.

A last minute entry from Meva looked sure to solve the problem, but Meva's excellent guesses came up heartbreakingly short by a mere one point, leaving Actonb and Leilani to share the honour of being the first and only winners of this competition ever.

Seriously, thanks for playing everyone. I'm not sure if anyone else enjoyed this, but I found it fascinating.

9 Comments:

Blogger mizanthrop said...

Aw, please don't feel despondent INC. I make no pretense of doing any more than guessing at my answers for the most part, but that did nothing to lessen the fun of the exercise.

It was a great way to get to know everyone better, and I thank you for putting the thing together.

*hands flowers and blows kisses to INC and the winners*

2:43 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

i enjoyed this immensely, don't worry that i didn't enter that's just me being lazy.

couple of comments

1. "Mizanthrop lead early through the clever strategy of being the only person to enter" this made me laugh, go miz!

2. i respectfully request that leilani blog on her wee ice-cube stunt. i have so many questions - how did she get the wee in the cube tray, while they were freezing did she not think it was maybe a bad idea (a kind of cool-down period, as it were), did her bro taste anything funny or did she fess up or has she still not fessed up?

really i'm not a urine-sicko but i love these types of stories and want to know EVERYTHING.

well done inc for coming up with the idea, running the comp and compiling everything with a very nice intro.

now get to the st kilda festival!

no, don't. it's too crowded and there's no parking.

2:47 PM  
Blogger mizanthrop said...

cool down period

*snort*

5:28 PM  
Blogger meva said...

I loved this, INC! I had so much fun guessing who did what. And I'm very pleased to have guessed all the Adam ones. Who'da thunk?

7:34 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Miz
And congratulations to you on a most credible third place.

MG
Miz has already provided the only appropriate response to your cooling down period comment, and I can but join you in hoping that Leilani will step up to the plate and provide us with way more information than we actually wanted.

Fianlly, I have to confess that I live so far out in the suburbs that I didn't even notice that the St Kilda Festival was on.

Meva
I'm glad that this worked on at least one level, even if it wasn't thelevel I was aiming for. And this is what keeps the blogging interesting.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Leilani said...

I won, I won. I feel more excited than Sally Field. Thanks INC, I think this was an awesome game. Even though I know no-one or nothing...

Ok pals I will blog on the great urine incident, even though I don't really like self-blogging (largely due to the lack of interest in my life).I am tempted to say not until Actonb finally loses at scrabble but given her sage rabbit-rearing advice I will relent.

Expect a post in about a week as I will have to shake off some blog cobwebs...

10:55 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Dude if only you understood the breadth of my emotional journey over this quiz.

I spent some time trading ideas with AB, then I went to Wagga, and then I convinced myself that not only had everyone else been COMPLETELY and UTTERLY a better judge of character than me, but they had also made the deadline I had missed.

Interestingly enough I did pick Leilani as the ice-cuber, don't ask me why.

PS Leilani, are they known as "blogwebs"?

6:45 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Also so, so sorry.

for the blogwebs thing.

And for my inability to meet a deadline.

8:47 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Leilani

I'm pretty sure we've established that there is an endless supply of interest in your life around these parts.

I love that the next person who pops over to your blog looking for the inside story on the latest moves in breakfast radio is going to get the ice cube story instead.

Giggles

Dude, whatever it was that I was trying to achieve with these post is far from clear. However, I am certain that traumatising you wasn't the goal.

Also, you may not apologies for blogwebs. It was funny.

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home