Tuesday, January 08, 2008

I'd like to get to know you (well)

I meet with a small group of friends around once a week to catch up, talk about deep stuff and possibly read some Bibles and so forth. For our last get together before the Christmas holidays, my dear friend Rubies decided that we should find out how well we knew each other.

It worked like this. Each of us wrote down three short statements about ourselves. The only requirement was that they had to be true. Rubies prepared a question sheet for each of us which had the names of the 11 participants across the top, followed by 33 statements. We then had to match three statements to each name. Each correct match scored a point and the person with the highest score won cash and/or prizes.

So it looked something like this:

Participants: Pacey, Rubies, Doc, Petrolhead, DangerMouse, Betty, Hunter, INC, Widget, Duke & Wigs*

There followed a list of 33 different statements, which included:


I played the tambourine on the stage at the Sydney Opera House

I nearly blew up the backyard when I was young

My youngest sister has five stitches above her right eye where I hit her on the backswing with a cricket bat

My first date with my spouse involved floating down a river in a rubber innertube

I helped run a youth group named “Only After Dark”

My first car’s name was Luke

When I was in the under 16c cricket team at school, I had a bowling average of 4.

I featured in a fly fishing magazine article (photo and all)

I once spent an entire week at a Bible College. It was a Baptist college so they played drinking games with water. Two guys drank so much water that they threw up

I love Glen Murcutt’s architecture

I chose my dog primarily because my boyfriend said he ‘didn’t like that one’.

When my flatmate visited Tasmania, I insisted that she must send me a postcard from the town of Baghdad. She ended up driving about 50km out of her way and her friends got cross with me.

etc etc etc





I scored 12 out of 33, which include the three that were about me, so when it came to guessing other people's I actually got 9 out of 30. I've known most of these people for two years or more so it's a bit embarassing.

It should be emphasised here that most people in the group did worse than that. Also, the absolute highlight of the evening was when DangerMouse turned to the young lady next to him and said "Well, I guess you're the one I know least about, Heather", and got the reply "My name is Betty."



Regular readers have probably already guessed that the one about getting a postcard from Baghdad was one of mine. Two of the others are mine too, but I'll leave you to guess which ones.

Which brings me to the most surprising discovery from this exercise. Rubies, who compiled the quiz, told me afterwards that she had nearly decided to edit the "Baghdad" one because she thought everyone would guess it was me instantly. But not because it involved a stupid postcard. No, it was because, apparently, I am the only person in the group who would use the word 'cross'.

Who on earth would notice something like that? I hadn't noticed and apparently I'm the one who says it all the time.



So, in the spirit of pointless curiosity and also coming as close as I will ever come to starting a meme, here's an opportunity to see how well we all know each other. If you'd like to join in, email me three statements about yourself (preferably not things that you have blogged about recently) and the address of your blog. If at least five people actually do this, I'll throw in another three from me and I'll post a list of the participants and their statements. You can either guess in the comments section or, if you want to know your score, email your answers to me.

There will be a small prize in the form of getting your name mentioned on this blog for the person with the highest score.

Feel free to take your time sending in entries. One of my nieces is arriving tomorrow and she's staying for a week. Another niece arrives the day the first one leaves and she'll be here for another week, so if I get a chance to post anything, or even check this blog, in the next two weeks I'll be mildly surprised.

Have a fabulous fortnight, folks.







* Yes, I spent hours trying to come up with nicknames for everyone. Which may be a waste of time since I'm pretty sure none of these people read this blog

11 Comments:

Blogger actonb said...

What an awesome idea! I shall email when I think of three things about me that I haven't actually blogged about - I live such a sheltered and uneventful life...

I also salute you, he who is about to drown in adolescent hormonal angst. It's been an honour to know you...

8:59 AM  
Blogger Melba said...

i'm playing too and will think of 3things toot sweet.

i'd like to say i liked the one about the water drinking game alot. i'm betting that was one of yours actually. it has your yumour in it.

sorry about the kath and kimisms. not quite sure where they came from.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

I'm not sure how I feel about you using time travelling devices purely for blogging. You could at least bring back some celebrity gossip for us.

6:59 AM  
Blogger mizanthrop said...

3 things hugh? 'Kay. I'll start thinking....

10:07 AM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Actonb
Camping with four children is as far from a 'sheltered' life as one can go, I think.


Melbs
You're absolutely right, the drinking game was one of mine, but I must emphasise that this plan was proposed by a bunch of mad Canadian guys.

Not me.

My view was that there was a pub right across the road and that would have been a quick solution to the 'no alcohol on campus' problem.

Also, I was sharing a room with the guy who threw up first and I have never seen anyone go to the bathroom that many times in one night.

I should blog about that whole deeply surreal week, but, if this blog had a purpose, scaring people away from organised religion wouldn't be it.

Adam
I predict Britney will continue to be troubled and not make hit records and sadly people will fail to leave her alone like they should.

Also, thanks for your three things.

Miz
Wow, you must think fast. Thanks!


We need one more entry, folks.

Or more, if you like.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Melba said...

when you're ready to play, email me to remind me, pleeeeeease?

thx

and hi.

4:39 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Melbs

We're ready to go, but I can't email you because gmail is sulking and won't talk to me. Which means you can't email me either.

So, any time is fine, really.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Leilani said...

Grand idea, expect an email soon!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Melanie Myers said...

Hi, I don't think we've officially met -blog wise - but I enjoyed that post. We don't know each other well enough for me to join in the the three things game - but I'll be back to make some guesses on everybody else (might have to do some background reading on everybody's blogs, too).

2:58 PM  
Blogger meva said...

Am I too late?

I thought the water drinking game must have been you at first, a la Melbourne Girl and your sense of yumour. But then I thought, 'Nah! INC would be downing the woine!' So I guess I don't know you, after all.

9:36 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Leilani
I'm glad you like the idea, even though it wasn't mine. And thanks for your most entertaining entries.

Blakkat
Well, now we've met. Which pleases me endlessly.

I'm pretty sure that a few of the other participants are familiar with your blogging, and hey, if they're not, they can do some background reading too.

I'm still waiting on one particular entry so you've got time if you want to join in the fun.

Meva
No, it's not too late, and thanks for joining in.

You were right about the drinking game.You are also correct in thinking that I would have been downing the wine, if any had been available.

So, I think you know me pretty well.

Just for the record, I also enjoy beer in all it's forms, bourbon, white rum and vodka. But not all at once, unless I am having a particularly bad day or the Libs have just won an election or something.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home