Thursday, September 27, 2007

Blog titles I never thought I'd use part IX: A good day at work

And what was so good about it, I hear you ask?

Well.

At 9 o'clock this morning, everyone who works in my office got into a minibus and we were driven to an undisclosed location which turned out to be a catering company in one of Melbourne's snootier suburbs. We proceeded to cook a three course French lunch (Cider and Onion Soup, Chicken Normandy Style with French Beans and Crusty Bread, and Lemon Brulee) and then we ate it, while drinking more than one glass of a rather fine Sav Blanc.

And I really need to learn the French word for 'awesome'.

Two people were assigned to each course. I was paired with someone who cannot cook at all. His entire contribution was to peel and chop up two apples. Following this, my 'Chicken Normandy Style' was presented to two of Melbourne's best caterers so they could tell me where I went wrong.

These two complained at length about how often this job requires them to eat really badly cooked food. I got slightly nervous, particularly when they started bagging the soup because my team had diced the onion instead of slicing it.

The fact that I had never cooked French food in my life was also kind of playing on my mind at this point.

So, would it be bragging too much to report that they said nothing bad about my cooking, they ate the entire plate of it and they asked if they could feed the leftover chicken to their catering staff?

I hope not, because that is what happened, so the odds that I could resist blogging about it are around the 'none in a billion' mark.


In other news:

1. Apparently readers of this popular blog persist in thinking people with religious beliefs are stupid. I suppose this should not bother me, but it turns out that it actually does.


2. My father has now joined facebook. He sent me a friend request. In accepting, I ticked the bit that indicates that he is a family member and specifically, my father. Just until he logs in next and confirms this, facebook is rather distressingly telling me that my father refuses to confirm paternity.

Which strikes me as just the type of trouble making that is viewed by many as utterly antithetical to social utility.

3. As of last Friday night, I have completely lost interest in football until next April. Except for the round ball variety, obvs.

4. My local supermarket is selling Christmas decorations.

5. It's still September, people.

6. SEPTEMBER.

7. PEOPLE!

8. I plan to use/yell the phrase "Normandy Style" in casual conversation as often as possible.

9 Comments:

Blogger actonb said...

INC - don't sweat it. Being insulted by an anonymous commenter on a blog kinda pales into insignificance in the persecution stakes...
I once had a little hissy fit for someone in the blogworld over this type of opinion and it got me into a bit of a mess.
So now I just fall back on the infuriating smugness that non-religious types just can't assail.

Now you have left yourself open to demands for a blogmeet fully catered by 'Normandy-Stylee' INC. I await my invitation and promise to bring Calvados.

9:24 AM  
Blogger killerrabbit said...

You have made me all hungry, and now I have a couple of Christmas carols in my head (a fine mix of Good King Wenceslas and We wish you a Merry Christmas)

10:50 AM  
Blogger Ann ODyne said...

possible trans. Fr of awesome = encroyable!

faceburk is scary.
stay tuned for a call from the cops when anyone linked to any of us commits a crime (or merely demonstrates against one of society's many outrages).

12:21 PM  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Actonb,

I have shared the frustration both you and INC have expressed IN THE COMPLETE REVERSE. As I think we've all said before, why can't we just get along, etc.

INCraig,

I just trawled my way over there and must admit that my reading of the comments is probably a little different to yours - chin up there, but if you're offended then that's your right too.

Secondly - it is clearly the week for workplace-sponsored indulgences (mine was a full-body salt scrub and pedicure, but the cooking sounds nice too).

Thank goodness my parents are not on facebook is all I can say.

12:38 PM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Acto
Hmm, probably good advice there. Of course, no-one was insulting me personally, it's just that lazy generalisations bug me.

It is entirely freaking me out that you somehow knew that the chicken dish I cooked had calvados in it.

Well done there.

Killer
Many apologies for the carols. This was not my intention, particvular considering that IT'S STILL SEPTEMBER.

PEOPLE!


Ann
Encroyable! What would I do without you?

Giggles
I don't have a problem with all the comments (in particular, I do find Ben amusing) but the one suggesting all religious people are mentally retarded was irritating, as all such generalisations are.

Except that generalisation, obvs.

So not offended, just annoyed. And the full body salt scrub does indeed sound encroyable.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Leilani said...

This is so unfair! The only thing I ever get from my workplace is a freaking headache and a bad cold. I have just spent the last couple of months working my bumme off to get a project finished and my employer told me he is so delighted with my superior efforts that he wants to give me a bonus.

But wait.

The bonus is dinner at his house! WTF#$%^&*

I can't blog about stuff like this on my site because word gets back so apologies for hijacking your comments.

Dinner? At his house? This is insulting right? Cold hard cash speaks my language.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

INC, you are an intelligent young man. (End sentence, INC is chuffed - it's not cool to start a new sentence with 'But') However, surely you are aware that department and grocery stories have shelves and signs that would be fully blank if not for Purchase More Stuff holidays. Making monies relies on shelves not being blank, so if you don't want to see Christmas decorations in September, you need to create something to fill the shelves between Fathers Day and Christmas. Might I suggest Interesting Occupation Day, where we buy the kids circular saws and looms made of musk sticks?

10:55 AM  
Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Leilani

As the Spanish probably don't say, "Mi blog du blog".

Also, how was/will be the dinner?

Adam
Halloween. Guy Fawkes Night. And yes, absolutely Interesting Occupation Day.

Ooh, and Iambic Pentameter Day.

9:30 PM  
Blogger actonb said...

INC - cos Normandy only really has apples.

As well as a couple of interesting beach defences.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home